SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an EPS file, now what?

i have an eps file of a friend's logo, and i'm going to incorporate it into a redesign of his website. i have never worked with an eps file, and i know its an adobe file format. I use macromedia studio for my web design.
    I'm either trying to

A) alter the eps file to change the logo's colors a little, and play with the logo image itself

B) re-create the logo in fireworks. i have done 90% of this option, except im not 100% sure about one of the fonts, and i know i will have to purchase the one i think it is. since he has already purchased the logo, i dont want him to have to spend more $$ on fonts.

i can open the eps file in freehand and fireworks, but its just one big bitmap, not a bunch of vector objects that i can edit easily.

so my question is, is there a way to edit an eps file's vector objects in fireworks or freehand?

is it possible to save an original eps file, export it to gif, and then save that gif again as a eps, so that there is only the bitmap layer? that may have been what the original designer did, since its one big bitmap.

he would also rather not contact the original logo designer because he wasn't real satisfied with his work in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can open the eps file in freehand and fireworks, but its just one big bitmap, not a bunch of vector objects that i can edit easily.
    Freehand should be able to open it and edit it. This is strange... do you know what program was used to create it. If its something really off the wall there may not be anything you can do.

so my question is, is there a way to edit an eps file's vector objects in fireworks or freehand?
    Is it complicated? You could always use Freehands autotrace tool and see what it does for you.

is it possible to save an original eps file, export it to gif, and then save that gif again as a eps, so that there is only the bitmap layer? that may have been what the original designer did, since its one big bitmap.
    One bitmap layer? There is more then one layer? Resaving will not make it editable.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FSUchucky3

[...]

yes, looks like that's exactly what the designer did. the worst kind of eps'. happens to me all the time as well...i request and eps, and get a bitmap "wrapped" in an eps...grrrr...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iwinweekly.com
    Freehand should be able to open it and edit it. This is strange... do you know what program was used to create it.
    no i don't, its an eps file, so i assumed something adobe...

Is it complicated? You could always use Freehands autotrace tool and see what it does for you.
    ill try that... thanks...

One bitmap layer? There is more then one layer? Resaving will not make it editable.
    yeah, i meant a single bitmap layer, rather than several layers, like with a PNG file... i just assumed that EPS files can have multiple layers...

thanks, sorry if i don't make sense with regards to EPS files, but i've never used one!

chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EPS is Encapsulated PostScript and all EPS's must conform to the Adobe Document Structuring, this allows other programs like Freehand to be able to open and edit them and vis versa. Did you request an EPS.... If you did Redux may be right he just imported the bitmapped logo into something that would save an eps. Or used Photoshop.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    prolly photoshop then. i don't think they have big dollars for illustrator. ill just make my friend buy that font, and i'll re-make it in fireworks.

thanks guys

chuck