Hi,

I'm going to make an attempt at coding a nice tree menu that is decent with browser support.

I want the tree to be displayed on all browsers (well, within a decent range). Of course, on older browsers, the menu won't be as functional.

Now, I'm going to be combining the javascript with a server-side language (asp.NET) and I'll be able to do some basic browser detection on the server.

But, I read about javascript object detection and am wondering how well that works exactly.

Like, what if a browser that doesn't support objects period tries to run some object detection code? Also, which browsers support user defined objects?

See, I'm thinking of breaking down the script in 3 categories. Browsers that won't get any javascript... these would be the browsers that don't support object detection, browsers with basic javascript... with these I would be able to code my own object and I would test for different features. And then there would be the browsers that can run it all.

So, basically, my question is what browsers support what features and how should I break down my code between them? A long time ago (back in the Netscape 4 / IE4 days) I did some javascripting, but since then I haven't really done any. I remember that NS4 didn't support div tags but supported layers... anyway, it got really messy.

I need to figure out some way to encorporate all browsers decently. So, I need somewhere to start.

thanks,
carl