SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating An Alien In Photoshop 7

Hi, nice Forums! Was refered here by Wayne. Seems like a great place I am going to share my latest tutorial with you guys. Hope you enjoy!

1. Open a new document About 640X480. Then fill the BG layer with Black. Now Create a new layer and then Draw out a circle selection using your circular Marquee tool. Now go to View>Show>Grids and then View>Show> Rulers. This will help us get everything lined up. Drag a rule out to the center of your circle. 1 Horizontal and one vertical. To do this just click and hold on the Rulers on the top and left side of your document and drag. Now grab your polygon lasso tool and while holding shift start about a 1/4 of the way up from the bottom and draw a triangle selection. Make sure your holding shift while you do this. Just line the point up with your Vertical rule and you should be fine. .

2. Now your selection should resemble mine. Ok, you can turn the grid and rulers off now if you wish. Next create a new chanel and fill your selection with white. Then go to filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur. Depending on how large you made your selection you should blur until there are no definate edges. Mine came out to be 17. Now press Ctrl L and slide your markers to the middle until you come out with a nice Smooth shape. Still with me? Ok, now press your load Channel as selection button or either go to Select>load Selection.

3. Now go back to your layers pallete and click on layer 1. Set White as your foreground and Black as your Background and then select your Radial Gradient tool. Now starting from Just below the top left part of your shape draw down to the bottom oposite side. Confusing wasn't it? Now Apply a color overlay of #90FD02 set to color burn and then select Outer Glow and apply TTHESE settings.

4. Now make a new layer and then create an eye selection using your circular marquee tool. Make sure white is your foreground and Black is your BG and with your Radial Gradient apply the gradient to the eye the same way you did to the head of the alien, from top left to bottom right. Then press crtl+D or select>Deselect. Now go to Edit>Transform>Rotate. And Rotate your Eye to where it is sloped down on the inside. You know how Alien eyes look :P. Then Go to Bevel and Emboss and apply THESE settings. Then Go to outer glow and leave the default settings.

5.Now he's looking all cool with one eye isn't he? :P. Lets get him 2 eyes. Duplicate your eye layer and then go to Edit>Transform>Flip Horizontal and then drag your new eye over to the right side and position it to your liking. You should now have something that resembles mine. Got it? Then lets continue. Now go back to your Alien Head layer and duplicate it. Then go to Edit>Free Transform and up at the top of your screen put 30 in the width and height box. Then select your move tool and then duplicate the layer we just created. Now delete the layer beneath it because we don't need it anymore. Whoa? Did you get lost?

6. Now fill your mouth selection with a white to black radial gradient starting from the bottom right to the top left corner. Then apply a color overlay of #78FF00 set to color burn then Outer Glow leaving all settings default except for the opacity. Change it to 31%. Then select your blending options and apply THESE settings. Your alien should now resemble mine.

7. Now that we got the basis of our alien, lets dress him up a little bit and make his skin look a little bit more Alien like. Ok, ctrl click on your alien head layer and then create a new layer above it. Now Select your paint bucket tool and then set your fill to pattern. Next is all personal preference. Fill it with a pattern of your liking. Something Sorta Bubly if you will. Then over in your layers pallete change the blend mode to soft light or overlay and adjust the opacity to your liking. Now if you wish to dress it up anymore its all up to you. Check out my finished Alien!

Thats it!! Hope you had a great outcome on yours. If not just take another stab at it and you should get better once you get familiar with the tutorial and the basic methods used in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Glad you liked it.

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great tutorial!

Welcome to the forums!

Be sure to introduce yourself here:

http://www.sitepointforums.com/forum...php?forumid=51

Dan

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, awesome! Thanks so much for this! It's exactly what we're looking for for this forum.
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, Really Glad you guys like it.. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the final result, I will check this out sometime when I have some spare time and see what I come up with Be nice if you could extend this to include different forms of body for the alien
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future