SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guidelines for using abnormal fonts...

Hey, I have a question about using fonts on a website (not in the form of graphics or flash).

I was recently asked to use the font "Cantaloupe" for a client's site, but obviously it is not one of the most common fonts like Verdana, Arial, etc. I've never used any fonts beside the standard ones, and was wondering how I would go about using this "Cantaloupe" font on my client's site.

Should I embed the font file (I've heard there's a way to do this, please prove me wrong if it's just a myth), or just tell the client they need to pick a standard font? I've also thought about putting the text all into graphic format to avoid this problem of accessibility, but then I'd run into the problem of slower downloads.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    Hamnet.
    Adopt A Beard.com: Get peace of mind with a piece of mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hamnet
    Should I embed the font file (I've heard there's a way to do this, please prove me wrong if it's just a myth)
    IE/Win only, from what I understand.
    or just tell the client they need to pick a standard font?
    Exactly. If they object make sure to let them know that no matter what, a large portion of their audience won't be able to see teh site as intended. If the typography is that important to them, suggest Flash for the whole thing.
    TuitionFree — a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says...Blogging For Your Pleasure

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well one thing you can do is specify the canteloupe font as the first choice in the style sheet and offer it for download somewhere on the site.
    As for embedding the font, there are ways to do this for multiple browsers and platforms, but it usually isn't worth the problems involved.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pissant
    well one thing you can do is specify the canteloupe font as the first choice in the style sheet and offer it for download somewhere on the site.
    ...as long as that doesn't breach any copyright laws. even free fonts sometimes have clauses in their readme files which clearly state that they shouldn't be redistributed.
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can be achieved with the old CSS 2 @font-face and third-party software for converting the font file for both Netscape and Micro$oft based browsers although normally people have problems with such tasks and generally it is not worth the hassle. Within the CSS 2.1 Working Draft it doesn’t exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As pissant says, specify Cantaloupe as the first font in your list, and then some sensible fonts after that. Your client will see the site the way they like it, deluded in the idea that anyone else in the world will see it the same way. You could consider saving key bits of text in Cantaloupe as graphics, but then it won't be indexed by search engines.

In a way, this is more a question about client management than about fonts. I find that structuring your arguments around the principles of accessibility based on w3c standards is a great way of getting what you want. It's a bit like those people who quote the bible - you can always find something in there to support your viewpoint.
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your advice, revs_org.

I find that structuring your arguments around the principles of accessibility based on w3c standards is a great way of getting what you want.
    I would definitely agree!
    Hamnet.
    Adopt A Beard.com: Get peace of mind with a piece of mine.