SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Spam from bloggers and recruiters? Mate, what are you talking about? There isn't any spam here..."

It is hard to find in-depth analysis of the effectiveness of brainbench tests that isn't marketing material (spam) used by brainbench and recruiting firms that use brainbench. I have found a few casual posts from bloggers. Message posts on this board and a paper that quoted this board is the only material I have been able to find that discusses/analyzes the use of brainbench tests.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do recruiters verify certificates? It seems they would still want their own administered test to benchmark against other applicants and to avoid having to verify credentials.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you said that brainbench tests are trash on the resume. I guess the inverse question should be asked. Should the job hunter trash the email from a recruiter that asks for a brainbench test, especially when you have a mountain of experience, extensive references, and highly respected degree?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my eyes a person with "a mountain of experience, extensive references, and highly respected degree" would not include Brain Bench on the resume.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iwinweekly.com
    In my eyes a person with "a mountain of experience, extensive references, and highly respected degree" would not include Brain Bench on the resume.
    We agree that a brainbench test score is bad for a resume.

Should the job hunter reject a job posting from a recruiter who asks for a brainbench test to avoid working with people who have no background other than a brainbench test score?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still stand by original comments... Brain Bench on a resume = Trash. But bringing up on old thread is pretty annoying... Sounds like someone did a search for Brain Bench and started trashing.

The reason for my comments were back in the day when Brain Bench was free... now my thoughts are a little different, but they still stand. Anyone can take a quiz and pass.... I know because I have interviewed these guys. People that are certified like mad but have never had real life experience. Every job is different, my job is IT and in IT Brain Bench holds no wait... But then again A+ doesn’t either. But a A+ certification will make it on my desk for an interview, Brain Bench will not.
    Don't you mean weight? I'd throw out resumes with spelling mistakes before I'd throw out ones with Brain Bench certifications. I took several of BB's tests years ago and thought they were pretty good assessments of one's knowledge in that particular area (they are, after all, compiled by experts in that field). They are fairly lightweight in the grand scheme of certifications and degrees, and since they're not given in a controlled environment, are susceptible to cheating, but it's better than somebody who says they've just read XXXX for Dummies. I think somebody who has (honestly) passed a Brainbench test has shown they possess the book knowledge in that particular area. Like passing a drivers written test.

Back when I took all those tests, they were free. Now BB charges about $50 and up IIRC. Plus I think they're only good for 1.5-3 years or something. I was pretty pissed to find out that records of all my old tests had been deleted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends how bad I want the job... a lot of recruiters don't understand the technology or the job. I can't tell you how many times I have been sent to an interview for a position that I didn't fit, but was talked into taking an interview anyway. I remember one instance that I had the word “SUN Solaris” on my resume and was sent to a job interview for a SUN administrator, I wasn’t told that until I was in the middle of the interview. Many recruiters don’t know the technology so it wouldn’t shock me to see a recruiter ask for a Brain Bench score. But you could easily talk a recruiter out of needing that to proceed. I guarantee you the client is not recommending that, so if you were confident you could tell them how you feel about Brain Bench and why your experience, degrees, or certificates are better.

Anyway... You find sitepoint online and your only post are in this thread that’s a year old. Sounds like someone has something against Brain Bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMichaels
    Don't you mean weight? I'd throw out resumes with spelling mistakes before I'd throw out ones with Brain Bench certifications.
    I didn't realize I was submitting my resume at 12:30am to a forum.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every major recruiting firm will ask you to do tests. Standardized testing is, well, standard. If it annoys you, don't look for work through major recruiting firms, or at Fortune 500's.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I did a search on brainbench to find opinions on it. Yes, I am against the idea of it.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds more like you are against the entire concept of testing applicants than against brainbench itself.

5 years ago when things were booming people could have that attitude, now with more and more it jobs being outsourced to India et al I don't think that it's a very productive attitude to have.

If a client wants you to jump through a few hoops to get a paying gig then unless you're very lucky and in demand then jump through the hoops (so long as they reasonable).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still stand by original comments... Brain Bench on a resume = Trash. But bringing up on old thread is pretty annoying... Sounds like someone did a search for Brain Bench and started trashing.

The reason for my comments were back in the day when Brain Bench was free... now my thoughts are a little different, but they still stand. Anyone can take a quiz and pass.... I know because I have interviewed these guys. People that are certified like mad but have never had real life experience. Every job is different, my job is IT and in IT Brain Bench holds no wait... But then again A+ doesn’t either. But a A+ certification will make it on my desk for an interview, Brain Bench will not.
    I totally agree with you dude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny that the Brainbench bashers here don't list what all mighty certifications/degrees they have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's funny that the Brainbench bashers here don't list what all mighty certifications/degrees they have.
    Bachelor's in Information Systems/Business and 3.5 years experience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Bachelor's in Information Systems/Business and 3.5 years experience
    What all is covered in a degree like that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realize anyone was asking!
    Apple ACTC
    Apple ACSA
    Apple ACDT
    Apple ACPT
    Adobe ACE
    A+
    Network+
    Associates Degree
    10 years experience

Old ones I don't even count anymore...
    Last edited by iwinweekly.com; Jan 27, 2005 at 20:06.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Associates Degree
    In what?

Any other certs/degrees you hold in high regard?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In what?

Any other certs/degrees you hold in high regard?
    Computer Graphics Technology :P

Not to proud of never finishing my bachelors. There are way to many certificates and degrees to list. The ones I have fit my profession and they could still better.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709
    It sounds more like you are against the entire concept of testing applicants than against brainbench itself.

5 years ago when things were booming people could have that attitude, now with more and more it jobs being outsourced to India et al I don't think that it's a very productive attitude to have.

If a client wants you to jump through a few hoops to get a paying gig then unless you're very lucky and in demand then jump through the hoops (so long as they reasonable).
    I think brainbench tests could be much better to cover a broader range of topic other than debugging code and knowing the contents of your reference book. However, my primary concern is that hiring firms are testing (likely to save money) in place of what really should be done: validating degrees, certifications, employment history, and references, which I believe to carry much more weight. I dislike the idea of my resume running up against someone who has lied on their resume and being discarded anyway with a numerical comparison of a single test with low validity.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BS in CS from a top school, 8+ years experience, industry awards.

Certificates are for DeVry graduates.

Imagine if the medical industry had our recruiters:

1. Doctor A lies about his medical degree and experience. Doctor A gets with his buddies and scores really high on his CPR Brainbench test. Doctor A gets hired as a heart surgeon.

2. Doctor B graduated from the top medical school in the nation. He scores decent on his CPR Brainbench test, but not nearly as good as Doctor A. Doctor B is waiting for Doctor A to kill someone on the operating table before being hired to clean up the mess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonfed
    BS in CS from a top school
    Which one?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What all is covered in a degree like that?
    It's your typical Business degree (Marketing, Econ, Accounting, etc.) and a lot of IT courses (Database administration, networking, programming, web development, project management).