SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Brain Bench, is it worth it?

I need your opinion, especially to those people who already got their certificates through Brain Brench. Are they worth it?
    The Star Circle Quest Community - Community website for SCQ fans.
    Telebisyon.net - Reference guide to TV series shown in the Philippines.
    Lyrics Server Online! - All the lyrics you can get on one website.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, don't put it on your resume or mention it on your website or boast about it to potential employers -- that would be embarrassing.

It's good for self-learning, though -- but I heard they now cost $$$

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a waste of money, just for the sole fact that they are not nation-wide accredited certificates. If you're into Web Development, get CompTIA or Microsoft Certifications....

I use ExamCram series books. Very informative and good reads through and through.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd disagree, a masters certification at BrainBench was one of the primary reasons for a recent hire. It was far more comprehensive than the test I administered. In fact, we're considering using BB as our testing facility for our hiring practice

J
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good. not good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some...link in profile. It has helped me in some instances not all. I dont think it has ever hurt my reputation ever.
    Web Finesse Studios
    Professional, business oriented web hosting and development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty much a joke IMO I mean maybe it might be useful to give yourself an indication of how well you are going, but I don't think most employers would a) know what it is or b) care about it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a good way to test your skill, but in most employers' eyes it won't be a huge boost to your reputation. It may help decide between you and another similarly-educated and experienced candidate, but otherwise it's your experience and formal education (industry certs or college) that most employers will look at.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron.martone
    It's a waste of money, just for the sole fact that they are not nation-wide accredited certificates. If you're into Web Development, get CompTIA or Microsoft Certifications....
    Interstingly enough, I was browsing the certifications at the CompTIA web site and noticed Brainbench certifications mentioned quite a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Brain Bench Not

From what you people said, I decided not to use Brain Bench as part of my resume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being in the IT business, if someone sent me a resume with BrainBench stuff on it, the resume would hit the trash. Unless they had something that caught my eye and even then I would make fun of them during the first interview.

Many employers wouldn't even know what BrainBench is, but once you told them you would immediately lose stock. My two cents!
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by friend_al_23
    From what you people said, I decided not to use Brain Bench as part of my resume.
    I have some certifications from Brainbench, and they were often very valuable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would expect that BrainBench is valuable for demonstrating competence, but not expertise if that makes sense.

So if you wanted to demonstrate that you were familiar with a slew of topics, but didn't have the work history to back it up, perhaps one could use BrainBench to support his/her claims.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    I would expect that BrainBench is valuable for demonstrating competence, but not expertise if that makes sense.

So if you wanted to demonstrate that you were familiar with a slew of topics, but didn't have the work history to back it up, perhaps one could use BrainBench to support his/her claims.
    EXACTLY!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way I passed the Brainbench Skill Test on the 28th of July.

I passed the "Master Webdesign for Accessibility" test with 96%.

But one thing I do not understand.

Why is Brainbench so underestimated here, since it is a Skill Testing Company, approved with ISO 9001 and some tests are endorsed by IWA and other commercial organizations?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

College Degree or Brain Bench

Real universities tend to have greater predictive validity than a dotcom quiz. If you are an idiot, become a master at the tests and enjoy working with other idiots. If you actually have a related degree from a good university, reject the quiz and every employer/recruiter that asks you to take one because you'll hate working with people who spent their time and money taking on-line quizes rather than pursue a 4-year or 6-year degree to thoroughly understand the profession.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, revive an 18 month thread. In order to show your intelligence.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working with idiots... sounds exactly like the people I have to deal with at the University.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is worth reviving the thread. Networking has the best results, but I suppose getting a few good books, some beer, and some friends to throw a brainbench party every night would be a good way to get a job. Not sure if it would be worth otherwise to take tests on footnoted reference material for the rest of your life to apply for every 2-month contract job that will require only a foundation in Algol and ability to help someone push a late and poorly scoped project out the door.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been able to find much objective analysis except for one paper quoting this thread. I have found a lot of spam from bloggers and recruiters. I guess the advantage is that is does help narrow candidates after a recruiter spams a whole database.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, because poorly scoped, badly timed, poorly managed projects only come from non graduates.

The problem with generalizations is that they're easily proven wrong. And the problem with specifics is that they don't cover enough ground.

I, personally, have no idea what conversation you're resurrecting. Considering the cost of Brainbench tests, and their ability to test your knowledge (ever taken one?) they aren't bad. Sure, a university degree is better. But, considering it's nearly 1000 times the cost, you'd hope it would be.

Again, though, what's your point?

Degrees are good. Experience is good. Networking is good?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spam from bloggers and recruiters? Mate, what are you talking about? There isn't any spam here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeremy W. Beat me to the punch, well said.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, degree and experience are more important than a brain bench test. It seems recruiters skip on verifying education and/or experience and checking references (I've never had a recruiter call a reference--this only happens when you know someone), and they instead use a multiple-choice test to narrow candidates. The recruiters save money, but I'm not sure if the quality of recruitment goes up. After a long-day on a current contract, the last thing I want to do is take yet another test. That is the reason why I got the degree. I find it somewhat insulting when I'm asked to take the time to take these tests as if a #1 engineering school didn't already do the weeding. Networking is the most successful method. If you know someone from a past job, you can usually always get a job through networking with a decent resume. Responding to a recruiters job posting gives you a very low success rate of landing a job since you've usually are up against with people who have the time to go through test-taking boot camps. It requires a lot of time especially when you have to prepare yourself for taking yet another test. How many good programmers (or skills) do you know that really have the time to master the whole job hunt process other than those that have too much time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still stand by original comments... Brain Bench on a resume = Trash. But bringing up on old thread is pretty annoying... Sounds like someone did a search for Brain Bench and started trashing.

The reason for my comments were back in the day when Brain Bench was free... now my thoughts are a little different, but they still stand. Anyone can take a quiz and pass.... I know because I have interviewed these guys. People that are certified like mad but have never had real life experience. Every job is different, my job is IT and in IT Brain Bench holds no wait... But then again A+ doesn’t either. But a A+ certification will make it on my desk for an interview, Brain Bench will not.