User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good application for MySQL

Hi guys,

I'm seeking a good application for MySQL that has a similar relationship between MS acess and SQL database.

In other words,

MS Acess VS. SQL database = X VS. MySQL

Can you please help me find that X?
    I'm seeking an application that can help me create switchboard and create the interface where I can enter data in that fashion. (So I'm not seeking application such as phpmyadmin.)

I'm aware that there are data conversion tools out there, but just wondering if I can do it directly without conversion.

Thank you in advance for your advice,
    Danny

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    access is to sql server as mysql is to postgresql

is that what you meant?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha.. postgresql is actually developed at my University. Cool.. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm looking into this.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... If you're referring to the fact that Access databases can be used in SQL Server, PostgreSQL isn't that bigger brother you're looking for.

Btw, what do data conversion tools have to do with your application that can help you create switchboard? I'm not too sure what you're asking.

<off-topic>
    Anyway, you're studying at UC Berkeley? I wish I could be there - that's like one of the places for Computer Science, as are Carnegie Mellon and places like that.</off-topic>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you are correct. That is not something that I was looking for. But, the fact that it was developed in UC Berkeley was the first line I read about PostgreSQL. So.. hah.

And yes, data conversion does not really help me. I'm actually looking for a feature similar to Access where you can create 'pages' with forms where customers can input directly into the database. Only that I'm searching for a tool that supports PHP/MySQL. (Since I'm not a programmer, I need a tool that can do this for me.)

More recommendation is very much appreciated.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I see where you're getting at. When you said Access, you meant Access the user interface, not Access the database right?

Well I think phpMyAdmin should suit your boat. There's a demo on their site so take a look at it and see if that's what you wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MySQL now also a front end / gui for their database, both Linux and Windows versions are available

http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysqlcc.html

It doesn't have all the options that Access has, though. For example the option to connect the tables and then build the queries visually is not supported.

<off-topic>I am more and more getting the impression, Access is frequently used to access other databases (Oracle, ....) over ODBC and provide a front-end. At least, that's what we did at University </off-topic>