SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plotting latitude and longitude positions on a 'flat' map on a web page.

Not really sure which forum to start this thread....

The problem/challenge in a nutshell - I've got a MySQL db containing a table of geographical locations, as identified by latitude and longitude co-ordinates, all over Australia. I want to be able to plot these locations on a gif/jpeg map (using CSS). But it's not a simple case of x-y co-ordinates on a linear scale because (of course, if you know a little about maps) lines of longitude are only parallel at the equator.

More notes:
    - CSS positioning of multiple locations is NOT the challenge. This is the easy bit!
    - The sort of maps I want to position the locations on are very large scale, ie. a map of Australia and/or State maps. So I'm not doing anything near as detailed as town or locality maps.

So for possible solutions I'm thinking along the lines of, perhaps
    a. An external free or fee-based service that will allow me to supply points of lat/long to it, for this service to plot the points for me on a map, and then for me to embed this map dynamically on web page, OR
    b. Some v. clever php class, formala, system, or whatever, that will adjust the position of a lat/long point to a linear system for CSS plotting on rectangular map. Ppresumably such a system would have to be provided with the lat/long positions of 2 or 4 corners of the map on top of which we wish to plot the points.

We're not trying to re-invent the wheel here. Although on one level what we're trying to do here is v. complex (I mean, we're dealing with the curvature of the Earth...), I'm sure that this 'problem' has been solved by many people and systems in the past - and all I want to do is get to the answer as fast as possible!

Thanks for any suggestions or leads. I actually phoned up some government mapping department in Australia, but the guy I spoke to was (surprisingly) really clueless.
    Last edited by spaceman; May 1, 2003 at 16:09.
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand the problem but don't know the answer.You could fairly easily kludge it if you are not too concerned about accuracy and want to use a linear scale.http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc33/ might be of some help?
    :

:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this link:

http://www.dmap.co.uk/

The demo version of the dmap product has exactly the map (of Australia) I was looking for - parallel lines of longitude on a linear scale. Sweet!
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise