SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My soccer site is getting half million banner view and Flycast is getting me 1 CPM ads after 40% fee there is nothing left for me. I wonder if its worth promoting my site. For the first time I wish I get less traffic
    Looking for webhosting?
    Complete review of hosting services, including dedicated and Cobalt Raqs.
    http://www.webhostingvillage.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree. Ad revenue has fallen to pathetic levels, it has come to a point where you will really need to calculate how big your pages (in KB) can be not to loose money. Big flashy pictures or sounds are just something you can dream of nowadays. I have a lot of zip-files for download from my site as well, and from those I can't cut down

However I have really experienced some good last days, not from Fly ( they never seems to do any better, go figure when they sell inventory at $1 CPM ), however with Burst yesterday was my best day ever - considering I have only RON campaigns at the moment ( although a lot of defaults from Burst as well )
    Stefan
    http://www.aspcode.net - articles on ASP/ASP.NET
    http://www.findfreefonts.net - jquery/ajax experiment site

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An alternative might be to try and sell your inventory yourself. With 500k one would think you would be able to find a few advertisers by offering information to those who are interested.

Other than that the only tip I can give you is to perhaps look into affliciate programs, etc. Or well really something which is targeted towards your audience.

/Anders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't ever wish you had LESS traffic.

If Flycast is not selling all your ad inventory, don't let your default ads go to waste. Is there an option where you can setup the default ads to show ads of your choosing? If so, signup with another ad company or banner exchange to fill in the gap. At least you won't be losing impressions!

If there is not, I would recommend leaving Flycast. I use Burst! Media and personally like it over Flycast, and I have experience with both. Currently, I have a soccer advertiser on my site via Burst! that gives me over $3 CPM. And Burst! let's you control your default ads (I use advertising.com for those).

A good point was brought up about selling your own ad space. That can and can't be a good idea. It depends if you're willing to spend the time to set everything up (rates, availability page, etc.) to get advertisers. And then you have to worry about managing them. It can be a hassle. On my site, I sell space for the main page and use Burst! on all the other pages. You could do that or consider hiring someone to do it.

Regardless, good luck!