Hi. I've lost my root password.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.5. I had a 3.x install of MySQL, and decided to update to 4.0.12 using the Mac OS X installer package from mysql.com.

Unfortunately, I forgot the root password I originally used, and it seems to be persistant. I've deleted the previous mysql installation files, but that didn't seem to make any difference. I've deleted the mysql user using NetInfo manager but that didn't seem to make any difference. I deleted the mysql user AND the new MySQL install and reinstalled. No difference.

In addition now when I try to start mysql I get
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

I don't know enough about this to even know where to start debugging the problem.

What I would really like is to know how to completely remove MySQL and all related files and do a clean install. I would settle for being able to reset my root password (or passwords -- the searches I've done on this forum seem to imply there may be two).

I have no existing databases to fear losing. I just want to work through the MySQL/PHP book I bought from SitePoint, and I can't move forward without knowing/resetting the mysql root password(s).

Thanks.