SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Ad Banners

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking in to putting a couple of ad banners on my site so I can get some kind of $$$ coming in. My site is far from huge because it has just recently been published.

I've applied at a couple of places and 1 denied my site, the others I haven't heard from yet. The question is: Is it really worth having these ad banners on my site since it's not a huge site? Is that why I was denied? What are some good ad banner companies that are geared towards smaller sites but still have a decent payout?

Thanks.
    fade

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do not get atleast 1000 impressions a day you won't make much money at all.

Chris

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not tell us how many impression you have have daily.

Also by haven't many banner in one page could also be the reason why you are denied.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think wether banners are really worth it first,

you say its just a small site, the $2-3 you might make might not be worth the trouble
    I remember falling...
    i remember marching..
    like a one man army..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by fade
    I'm looking in to putting a couple of ad banners on my site so I can get some kind of $$$ coming in. My site is far from huge because it has just recently been published.

I've applied at a couple of places and 1 denied my site, the others I haven't heard from yet. The question is: Is it really worth having these ad banners on my site since it's not a huge site? Is that why I was denied? What are some good ad banner companies that are geared towards smaller sites but still have a decent payout?

Thanks.
    Well You need to take a couple things into consideration.

Ask yourself the reason why you created the site in the first place. If it was to make some money, I will advice to start dealing with diferent pay ad programs so you know how they work and what they can offer you. by the time your site is big enough you will know the best company to choose for your site. As you mentioned, some of them ask for certain amount of traffic so apply to the ones with requirements you can meet at the moment. You can start by signing up with http://www.cj.com/ and choose some programs that will target your site well. Because of your low traffic at the moment, the best you will get are payperclik programs So try thoses first. Check also http://www.clickxchange.com/ 2000 programs there alone. Also try some payperlead programs and see your conversion rate and stick with the winners.

If you created it as a hobby then dont bother with ads companies, they will make your live living hell! . Just exchange links with related sites. By the time your site gets decent traffic, you may well decide to make a business.

Remember, Hobbies can be very expensive. And I not talking about just $$$, also time. My advice is make sure you are covering the cost of the hosting if you paying for it. Time cost too but it is good for your well being.

take care
    Lookpal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you created it as a hobby then dont bother with ads companies...
    I don't necessarily agree with this. I think if someone started a site with the expectations of earning lots of money from cpm banners, they're going to be sorely disappointed. But if someone has made a site as a hobby and it's possible to make a little cash on the side, it's a nice bonus. I started mine as a hobby/joke, and never dreamed it would get as much traffic as it does. I wish I knew earlier about cpm banners and ad networks. I'm still not in it for the money (I can't live off it or anything), but it does provide a little more motivation to update more frequently.

Fade, have you check with BurstMedia.com? They require 5,000 pageviews a month, which works out to around 165 a day. I've had good luck with reporting.net's affiliate programs, too.
    Cheese-N-Rice - A daily comic strip.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've all made some good points.

I guess you can qualify my site under "hobby" but like Lorina mentioned, it's nice to make a bit of $$$ on the side. I'm just looking to cover my hosting costs and a few bucks more to motivate me!

I just put my site up last week and I've had over
    10,000 hits, but I haven't had many posts at all on my forum and not much feedback from anyone. I guess I'm stuck in the "empty forum, let's get outta here" syndrome.

But yeah it would be nice to have SOMETHING on my site.

Thanks.
    fade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you created it as a hobby then dont bother with ads companies.
    I disagree... you can make plenty of money with your site as long as you get good traffic... doesn't matter what kind of site it is.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you created it as a hobby then dont bother with ads companies, they will make your live living hell! . Just exchange links with related sites. By the time your site gets decent traffic, you may well decide to make a BUSINESS!.

Am I not saying it?

Lookpal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of using ad banners to get CPM or CPC,
    I would go for leads or commission when selling some products/services

Since the nature of the site, it maybe easier for you to sell something with same-interest visitors.
    CPM and CPC programs are greatly based on the site traffic.
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy