SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Graphic Editing Programs

Hi. I've been doing the website for my school. I would like to request they purchase a graphic editing program, but I can't see them spending even a hundred dollars on it. So, I was wondering what programs were out there that aren't very expensive, but still useful. I've worked with Paint Shop Pro before, so I'm kind of looking for something like that, but for a good price I can learn to use something different.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paint Shop Pro is some of the best value for money you'll find for image editing. If your budget doesn't stretch that far, the Windows port of the GIMP is getting quite good too.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your school has any graphic design, desktop publishing or photography courses, they probably have a few computers with Photoshop installed that you could use.
    TuitionFree a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says... Blogging For Your Pleasure

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, they dont. Its a small private school. In fact, the only computer class they have right now, is a typing class. I was just offered to do the website for a credit, so I figured "why not". Even though I'm nothing special when it comes to webdesign.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you based? Lots of PC mags give away stuff like this. I obtained a properly licensed version of psp (6 I believe) with .net a coupla months back in the UK - that's 5 or $7.50 . They're in it for the upgrade of course, but still that's pretty damn cheap..
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GIMP is free, open-sourced, and extremely good at manipulating graphics. The only hitch is the learning curve is a bit steeper -- but it could give Photoshop a run for it's money, in my opinion. If you want to invest a little time (not THAT much more than Photoshop really), it's nice.

A great on-line guide to it, with screenshots and everything, can be found here. That'll teach you just about everything you need to know (find something like that for Photoshop!). As you can see, there's some awesome work by people who use The GIMP.

Just thought it was worth a mention.

-Colin
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webmasterhal
    Hi. I've been doing the website for my school. I would like to request they purchase a graphic editing program, but I can't see them spending even a hundred dollars on it. So, I was wondering what programs were out there that aren't very expensive, but still useful. I've worked with Paint Shop Pro before, so I'm kind of looking for something like that, but for a good price I can learn to use something different.
    For $38 CompactDraw is very easy to learn and can do some amazing things in graphics design.

http://www.mediachance.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adobe Photoshop Elements can be had for $50 or less... it's very full featured for what you pay.

Owen

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did d/l GIMP, I'm actually quite pleased with it. Thanks for the advise:-)

Your life is leaving you with every minute...
    Start living like it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with the GIMP, or Photoshop Elements. I was pretty suprised with Elements for the low price. You don't have all the features and functions, but it is a good program for someone with a small budget. Better yet use Elements and the GIMP for whatever you need!
    jinx
    superbubba.com
    If you want to learn something . . . start doing it!