SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Drawing Tablets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drawing Tablets

We starting talking about drawing tablets in the Vector Tracing thread. I've always wanted one, but they're really expensive. I wanted to hear about the ones you might have. How big is it? How well does it work? How much did it cost? Can you show us anything you've done on it.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a WACOM Intous2 9x12. It's regularly priced at around $450, I believe, but I got it at an academic discount and got $100 off. It's worth every single penny.

Before that, I had a Graphire (which sells for about $90 and has a 4x5in active area) and it was a good little tablet, for a beginner/hobbyist. I'd definately reccommend it to someone who wants to try a tablet but maybe doesn't want to sink a lot of cash into one right off the bat. It served me well for 3 years.

I just felt that to do professional graphics work that the larger size, and pen tilt features (which affect the brush flow and shape, etc. just like painting with a real paint brush would) would make life a lot easier... and it has.

There are lesser expensive brands out there, but there's a reason why WACOM is the industry leader. -- Their tablets are simply better. They're also quite durable. I've lost count of the number of times I've dropped the pen/mouse, or left heavy objects sitting on the tablet. The Graphire, that I ended up gaving away, saw hours of use every day for 3 years and barely showed any signs of wear.

Oh, a word of warning... if you get a tablet and it's nto what you expected when you first hook it up and try it out.. don't give up on it. It's nothing like drawing with a pencil and paper. The feel is totally different, and it does take some getting used to, but once you've adjusted, you'll never want to draw with a brick.. er.. I mean mouse again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might look into a Wacom Graphire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incendentally, Amazon.com has the "Wacom Graphire2 4x5 Graphics Tablet" for only $82.99, which seems like an excellent price.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've often wondered if anything that small (I know 4x5 is a common size in tablets), could prove to be useful.

There would have to be so much non-tablet area to rest my hands especially if it was pressure sensitive. I also hope they are designed for left handed people in mind (so few things are)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a lefty I love the graphire I have and as for the size the 4x5 translates to what your displaying on screen (at least with photoshop) so you can zoom to 200-300% and work on very intricate detail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blunt
    As a lefty I love the graphire I have and as for the size the 4x5 translates to what your displaying on screen (at least with photoshop) so you can zoom to 200-300% and work on very intricate detail.
    I too am a lefty and love the Graphire. However, I've noticed that the small tablet doesn't match up with the screen too well if your resolution is huge, like 16001200 or greater. In that case, I'd suggest a bigger tablet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a lefty as wel, so that's good to hear. I don't have my monitors on huge resolutions, so that's good. I think I'm going to get one sometime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KelliShaver
    Before that, I had a Graphire (which sells for about $90 and has a 4x5in active area) and it was a good little tablet, for a beginner/hobbyist. I'd definately reccommend it to someone who wants to try a tablet but maybe doesn't want to sink a lot of cash into one right off the bat. It served me well for 3 years.
    This (above) is very good advice.

I got my Wacom Graphire 2 just over a year ago. It has a 4x5 inch active drawing area, 512 levels of pressure and a versatile control panel (for Windows) allowing you to customise its operation to your needs. It has great support in a range of applications, including Photoshop and Painter.

You can read more about it here:
    WACOM Graphire 2

Unfortunately, I don't use my tablet as much as I would like cos much of the design work I do doesn't require it. However, I have used it for photographic/image manipulation (eg. creating intricate selections) and basic illustrations in Flash. Basically, when the mouse doesn't cut it, I use the Graphire 2.

I paid A$165 for my Graphire 2 which is still a very good price here. This included the pen and tablet. There is another package which contains a cordless mouse as well (costs about A$200), but I didn't bother going for that one (jus bought an optical intellimouse at the time )

I think the Graphire 2 presents both affordability and very good value for someone buying their first tablet, who may not use it too often or who just wants to see how a tablet is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.my-volito.com/ cheap, cheap cheap and it's wacom too!
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's mine -Wacom Intuos 2

I use it strictly for photo retouching and watercolor projects on canvas media. Like Kelli said, it takes some getting used to. Practice, practice, practice!

The retail price at the time was $800.00 but I paid $399.00 for the 12X18 graphic board through the National Association of Photoshop Professionals NAPP

The board came with a ruler-graph overlay, Stylus pen and holder, airbrush, and mouse. Not bad for $399.00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that sounds awesome, but so expensive!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the smallest tablet but I could never get used to the size limitation so I splurged and bought the big one. I actually have it boxed up. Maybe its time to consider selling it although I haven't a clue what to sell it for. Its been used maybe 5 times max.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be willing to give you 5 for it.

5 dollars that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick it on ebay and let people bid for it
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future