SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: making a cd rom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question making a cd rom

I made a CD Rom quite happily without testing it on anyone's computer but my own and sent off a copy to someone who has also made one.
    Result: none of the links worked.
    Problem? I don't have file///C| etc anywhere now but as one has to save on one's computer before burning it onto disc, where and how do I
    save it? I mean the index.html file ends up with a C: no matter how I save it. I'm not sure yet if my tester managed to get to the index file, but that one will still have C in front of it. The other html files also have to have C in front at least. The images are easy although they too are in a folder from which I burn the CD.
    I hope I'm making myself clear here.
    By the way, this is a great forum which I have recently advertised in my newsletter so I hope you got a few people from that.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure you do document-relative links between all your pages. At no stage should the drive letter even come into it.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks but I don't quite understand this. There are no relative links between pages, but as I said I have to save into my C drive or a directory of my C drive for the html pages. Is that okay. Having burnt this new copy now I am seeing D drive emerging on install whereas before I saw C drive.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So when you're building the pages you have to save them on your C: drive? Sure you do. But that doesn't mean that the links between those pages have to have the drive letter specified. They just need to be relative between the documents.

Or am I misunderstanding the question?
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep that answers the question and I have now found out from my tester that she got to the index page okay but not to the others. Now they don't have file///C| in front of them so things should be okay. I'll also test it on the computer next door. But I might advise people here that testing your cd rom on your own computer won't alert you to these probelms because your computer will search out the files however you do them.