SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Ultimate Bulletin Board that I launched in August. It has 600 users and about 8,750 posts so far. I was shocked today to receive an e-mail from my host, that I must either get the message board off the server in one week, or, if I upgrade to VBulletin, I can stay. I was told "The resources being eaten by the board are far too intensive for our servers, or for any shared server for
    that matter."

I think that switching servers would be a mess, and there would be too much of a risk loosing visitors/traffic. So, I would like to move ahead with the VBulletin conversion (ouch! $160 I do not want to spend!!!)

I have no experience with VBulletin. I know it uses php. I have no experience with that either. Does it matter? Also, keeping in mind that I want to import all existing posts into VBulletin, am I going to be in too deep considering my only experience is installing cgi scripts and completing available hacks? Should I get assistance with the install and importation, or forge ahead on my own?

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the only problem is that vbulletin uses a MySQL backend and ubb uses test files to store data. I think you are probably going to have a hell of a time converting everything over. Good Luck!
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't Sitepoint make the UBB to VBulletin switch while preserving posts?

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh maybe they did, I will have to take a look, I would be interested in seeing that since I have an old ubb laying around and I would like to convert, I just thought it would be too big a pain in my a**!
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freddydoesphp
    Well, the only problem is that vbulletin uses a MySQL backend and ubb uses test files to store data. I think you are probably going to have a hell of a time converting everything over. Good Luck!
    vBulletin comes standard with a UBB import function. Importing your old posts and members is fairly straight forward. Install the system and choose import from the Control Panel.

UBB can be pretty resource intensive if your hosts drive system isn't up to a high quality. The reason being is that everything is made of flat text files from the member database to the individual posts.

The storage space required by a UBB system is between 3 and 5 times the size of what you will need for vBulletin.

Another advantage for hosts with a lot of MySQL accounts is that the database can be on a separate machine. This balances the loadd and reduces resources on the Webserver. This allows more people to use the server. With vBulletin you can take advantage of this capability but you can't easily with UBB.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to install the vBulletin Lite for free to test your ability to install the full version!

Then I think you should switch to vBulletin, or your host gonna kick you or ask nicely to switch to dedicated hosting!
    Good luck.
    p/s: installing vBulletin is straight forward (i am talking about Lite ver. but I think the full one also easy! )
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy