SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Designer, wanna be coder. Some advise please!

Hi all:
    I am currently a designer with little php knowledge and I wanted to learn how to code. Upon getting into php, a little bird in here told me that php was good but for serious coding get into cold fusion. So I start my mission on to Barnes & Noble to go look aroung and my head is spinning from the languages that are available. I knew there quite a few out but sheeeeeeeeesh. So now what. What is a good web app. coding lang. that I should go. I have always liked php but again this little bird, who must own MM stock, tells me how easier it is with CF being that I use all MM products anyway.

help, I am confused....

P_M
    Regards,

P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cold fusion is often refered to as the "designers language", but anyway

I would suggest you learn PHP, at least learn the basics anyway and see if you're ready to move on from there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, really. I never heard that one, and I am on the up and up with critizing MM.

thanks I will hone my skills in php i guess
    Regards,

P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's down to what you like really, but PHP has a similar syntax to javascript, java and other C derived langauges... which can be useful if you chop and change.

cf on the otherhand is more like html tags, you'll also need to find a host that suppports cf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a recent thread about Coldfusion. Read it and I think you'll see that Cold Fusion has more power than you might expect.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! That post was more than enough information that I needed. Thanks guys for everything.

PM
    Regards,

P

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    coldfusion = losing popularity

that alone is reason enough to skip it as your first language. i strongly agree that php skills will be largely portable (at least in concept) to many other languages.

just don' start with perl
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing to keep in mind... you are looking get into an entirely different discipline. It's little different than saying to yourself, "I already design web pages, now I want to fly commercial jets as well."

You certainly could learn how to fly a commercial jet, but the point is when considering what language you will focus on or what learning strategy you are going to take, you should figure out where you want to go with coding.

It's an entire branch of science. People get masters and PhDs in it. Other people tinker around, learn a few things and can write little Perl scripts that save them lots of time. Both paths are great for different perspectives... it's a matter of what is appropriate for you and your goals.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhecker
    coldfusion = losing popularity
    I'm not coding genius. I just wanted to know what made you say that? From my review of the other thread I'd think people would say the exacty opposite...