SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not your average competition

There are no prizes....just the satisfaction that you know something.......wait for it.......that Wayne doesn't

This competition is for someone to try and come up with a computer related question that Wayne is unable to answer

Your soo knowledgeable Wayne, but i'm sure there has to be some question that your not able to anwser

We need Waynes support he that he promises not to cheat and ask someone else the anwser. Wayne, you've got to be truly honest if your unable to anwser the question.

Also, the people anwsering the question also have to be honest in that they did not ask someone else the question and find out the anwser from them also. It has to be something you knew yourself, whether you read it, was thought it before or learnt from experience.

FUN! FUN! FUN!

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He can't use his myriad list of bookmarks also....His list of bookmarks must read like a library index.
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Lol I think this is a good idea, Wayne I think you should share some of your powers by exporting you bookmarks to a HTML file. (I know we had a post about this a while ago but you didn't post yours).

I'm afraid I can't think of a suitable question at the moment but I will

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne isn't omnipotent. He just knows alot about DBs SQL and the like. Otherwise he's a big ASP buff, he has not done much work with PHP or Cold Fusion. Finding something he didn't know the answer to would be easy.

Wayne knows a ton about some things, but he doesn't know everything about everything.

Chris

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freaky,

Just last I was thinking: "One day i'll post a real design question that none of the advisors or Wayne can answer". As of yet i've failed miserably

Good luck! If I think of anything i'll let you know.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When calling interrupts from C, what does interrupt 31 do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a modem string what does the ^M at the end do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, what does HTML stand for? Seriously, though...to make it fair and reasonable, we'd probably do best to ask him questions about the subject he's mastered...more challenging that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fairness I dont think those type of questions are gonna catch Wayne out, do u?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will eventually - there's obviously no person on earth who can answer every question about a particular programming language or platform.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the things I know about directly from my Resume.
    • Operating Systems: MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 3.1, 95/98, NT 3.51/4.0, 2000, Unix
    • Applications: Word 97, Excel 97, Access 97, PowerPoint 97, FrontPage 98, Outlook 98, Internet Explorer, Netscape Communicator, Allaire Homesite, JASC Paint Shop Pro, Embarcadero DBArtisan, Quest SQL Navigator, WS-FTP.
    • Development: Visual Basic, Visual C++, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, ASP, CGI, XML, XSL, Oracle, PL/SQL, Crystal Reports, Sybase ISQL, MS SQL Server

Now I can guarantee you that I do not know the answer to every question in these topics. I just research very well. Even if I answer your question here, doesn't mean I knew the answer before you asked. I take your question and go to various locations and look for the answer, whether its the Window's Help Files, AIX man pages, a website (or two or three), one of my books, I then take the answers I found rewrite them, blend them and mold them and post them.

A case in point is that I used to teach a class on Windows PC at a previous job. My guarantee was that when I was done with the class (5 days, 40 hours) that everyone in the class could use 90% of all business applications developed for Windows out of the box. I have always met that guarantee no matter what the Windows based system is. To this date, I have never had to call Tech Support on any product.

The key is not to try and memorize everything but the concepts and knowing where you can get more help if needed.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point - the employer, for example, does not care if you had to use a reference to complete the project - he/she just wants it done the way it was agreed to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree totally. The key is not always what you know, but how good you are at finding answers. Do you know where to look.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by KeithMcL
    In a modem string what does the ^M at the end do?
    That's a good question. I had a file full of them and was trying to figure out why. It is \r, but I don't know why it keeps appearing.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting "competition". Wayne, your resume is quite solid. I'm scared to see how much more you will know in a few years.