SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASP + Index Server

This is partly an ASP question and partly not an ASP question.

I'm trying to implement an ASP page that will use Index Server to provide search capability for a document repository folder. I've gotten this working on my server fine, but I'm now trying to implement it on a laptop (running Windows 2000 Pro) so that a salesman can show it to a prospective client. I was wondering if anyone knew if accessing Index Server through a web page would work on Win2kPro and the PWS it has?

Also, my working version is currently using the old style idq and htx pages and I've been having a hard time finding a good resource to show me how to do this in ASP. Any specific recommendations? I'm a PHP guy just getting started with ASP, BTW.

Thanks.
    $slider = 'n00b';

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I figured out my Win 2000 problem. When using sample files, and you uncomment something it's a good idea to take off all the comments, not just the comment symbol at the first of the line .

Still working on getting an ASP page to work right. Been trying to get this one working:

http://www.xefteri.com/articles/apr192002/default.aspx

But not having any luck. Getting an error page that says "There is no catalog." Not sure where to define the path to the catalogs. Still looking though.
    $slider = 'n00b';

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to create a catalog in the Indexing Service part of Computer Management (see Control Panel --> Administrative Tools)
    MarcusJT
    - former ASP web developer / former SPF "ASP Guru"
    - *very* old blog with some useful ASP code

- Please think, Google, and search these forums before posting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I know that. To get it working on my laptop I had to set my IDQ file to manually know the location of the index. You can usually rely on the registry to provide this info to the script.
    $slider = 'n00b';

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... figured out my problem. This script is expecting a Catalog name, and I was giving it a Virtual Directory name (which the IDQ/HTX files deal with). It worked as soon as I gave it a valid Catalog name. I think it's matching them from the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ContentIndex\Catalogs\CatalogName
    $slider = 'n00b';

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That xefteri.com -link contains all you need. Setting up IndexServer is very easy, and I've never fixed any registry keys. Practically copy-pasted the code, set up the catalog and that's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, I'm just saying I misunderstood what I was supposed to put in the catalog definition. I was putting in an IIS Virtual Directory instead of the name of my Catalog. Got it working now just have to tweak the @&#$ out of it .
    $slider = 'n00b';