SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTTP 500 error, php installed on XPpro, im a php-newbie, help?

went to:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/article/525/3
    and did everything it said, and have retraced my steps to verify i did everything 'correctly'.. appears that i have.

I am on a winXP-pro machine, with IIS installed, mySql 2000 server, and everything works fine up until...

I have created a virtual directory called "http://localhost/php/", in this folder is two files: index.html, test.php.. index.html a-href's to test.php.. i go to localhost/php and it loads the index.html page. i click the link to view test.php and the following things occur:
    - i receive the "HTTP 500 Internal server error" page.
    - i click 'refresh' and a "close/debug" window prompts me.
    - (at this exact point is when IIS stops running and I have to re"start" it)
    - i click 'close' on the window, and every time i click 'refresh' at this point, i receive the "Cannot find server" error. IIS has stopped because of trying to access the .php file via the a'href on index.html page..
    - I open IIS, right click on "default web site", click stop/pause (it doesnt have the 'start' option because it hasnt been refreshed) and then am immediately prompted with a window saying: "The connection to 'the-name-of-my-computer' was lost. Do you want to reconnect? yes/no"
    - i click 'yes'. now i can see on the left in the tree of folders/virtual directories/etc that "Default Web Site" now has "(stopped)" next to it..
    - i click 'start' on the Default Web Site...

and then i could just repeat the steps above over and over and the same things happen every time..

I hope this information is sufficient enough for someone to help me figure out why php is NOT working on my computer at all... what do i need to download or change on my computer to get it working properly?

ANY help would be appriciated.. thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you have installed PHP on the machine as well, right?
    I'm not so sure about IIS, but maybe you have to add .php to a list of webfiles it should run, and maybe a path to where PHP is installed.
    Reptilian Feline
    | www.reptilian-feline.net | Art | Tutorials | Pets | Music |
    Webdesign the hard way...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, that wasn't the case..

I figured out that running the "iBuySpy" portal *and* mySql at the same time was the conflict.. so I installed mySql and the php things on a fresh copy of win2k server.. all is well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! It is often the little things that makes life hard.
    Reptilian Feline
    | www.reptilian-feline.net | Art | Tutorials | Pets | Music |
    Webdesign the hard way...