SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

360 virtual tours

I am thinking of adding that service to my webdesign business.
    Any ideas, how I can start, as in the requirements. I see alot of potential especially in real estate and hotels, where clients would want to see virtual tours.
    Lisilokuwapo moyoni,halipo machoni-->Out of sight out of mind

Take a musical Safari

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I think you are talking about those 360-degree Quicktime panoramas, no? If so, here's A SITE that explains how to make your own.

Also, here's the Quicktime Tools and Utilities webpage. Click "Quicktime VR" for what you are looking for.

Also, try a search at Google: create quicktime panoramas

Good luck! If you have any more questions, just ask.
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. Actually I have in mind , something like Ipix.

Take a musical Safari

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a web developer who used iPix to take pictures of the interior of cars, RV's and boats I can tell you there is no better in the game than iPix. They were a publicly traded company and their stock plunged because of the overpriced KEYS that you have to buy to produce your pictures. First you have to buy a camera and a lens compatible with their softwareware. Then you have to buy their software. Then you have to pay for every image you produce with their software. That is rediculous. That's like paying for Microsoft Word then paying for every document you print after you already paid for their software. Now the KEYS are much cheaper but the technology is one of a kind. If you have the means to pay for the final product and you need a high def finished product then iPix is for you. If you want a free solution then find other solutions. Its the difference between a corporate solution and a small home office solution. Only you will know what your budget is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I prefer the Quicktime solution over IPIX. I think Quicktime has one of the best picture quality out there. I know about compression settings, but everything I did or have looked at and compared, always seems to look better in Quicktime. IPIX is too expensive to get into IMO. only downside to quicktime authoring is that i think it is Mac only.

and, as and cheap alternative, these things can be built in Flash or Director/Shockwave as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i've created a website when i was in high school as a school project using iPix. I found working with ipix rather troublesome, not to mention the camera isn't cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input. At the moment from what I have gathered, Ipix is way too expensive, I came across 3d vista studio. Any one out there who has used it? 3DVISTA site

Take a musical Safari

SitePoint Evangelist azizur_rahman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been using IPix for almost every client we get here at Merchant Internet for Property ASP (Application Service Provider). It depends on really how used to the system you are.
    Azizur Rahman
    Web Application Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qshikuku
    Thanks for all the input. At the moment from what I have gathered, Ipix is way too expensive, I came across 3d vista studio. Any one out there who has used it? 3DVISTA site
    I looked into this recently for a client and did a quick demo of a room in our studio (http://www.stickynewmedia.co.uk/html/360/index.shtml) using our existing digi camera and its perfect for their needs. I think the software's about $50. Why not download the demo and have a play