SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the process of trying to sell ad space on my site(s) for the first time to real advertisers who have contacted me.

Right now we've negotiated a price via email and the rep is asking that I send him an IO (insertion order) and an invoice - apparently it goes to a separate advertising department so he hasn't supplied me with banners, URLs, # impressions they want to buy yet, etc.

What exactly do I need to do? Judging by the one I found on MyComputer.com an insertion order is a contract between the advertiser and site - but I don't have a fax machine or a contract written up. Do I really need all this?

For the invoice - What do I put in an invoice if I don't know what they want to buy yet? I only know they are interested in an exclusive top position banner ad campaign on my site.

Any help would be appreciated..

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the invoice, insertion order, or any other of that stuff is needed, although it couldn't hurt, if you are selling your own ad space.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While they are probably not totally necessary they are a good idea in case of any disputes later on. Also many companies won't deal with you unless you have contracts etc in writing, so its always a good idea to have some kind of IO/Contract ready, in case someone asks for it.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I may have just lost the advertiser just for that reason. Before he asked for the contract we were going back and forth at least once per work day via email, now he hasn't responded to my email since I let him know I didn't have an I/O written yet (what else could I do..)