SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile need a good forum/community program

ok i just started a company and i need a way to organize it. i have no money to buy one, so im kinda stuck. i tried php nuke but i cant figure out how to use it. anyone have any suggestions of others or how to use php nuke? thanks for your time.

jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just play around with it, dont publish your site for public until you know how to use it.

Test what each function does..you'll get the hang of it.
    Web Banner Design
    -------------------------------------
    Banner Design | File Hosting

Wishful Thinking webmasternovis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try invisionboard (www.invisionboard.com) or PHPBB (www.phpbb.com)

Both are free if I am not mistaken, but I have only used invisionboard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkypes
    ok i just started a company and i need a way to organize it. i have no money to buy one, so im kinda stuck. i tried php nuke but i cant figure out how to use it. anyone have any suggestions of others or how to use php nuke? thanks for your time.

jason
    I've never used PHP Nuke, but have used PostNuke. From what I understand, they should be very similar. If not PostNuke is very easy to install and use.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using PostNuke since low now, at first, I didn't know anything about it, but its really easy to learn to customised, and with time, you'll even be able to modify the codes etc or make your own modules and themes...

PostNuke.com provides tons of documentation on installation and customisation... Their support forum, also contains many FAQ that have been answered by the team... I'm sure this will help you a lot...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PHPNuke is supposedly full of security holes, which is why PostNuke was created as a fork of PHPNuke. If this all holds true (can anyone else verify this? I'm just working off of hearsay as I've never used both), I'd suggest PostNuke instead of PHPNuke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    PHPNuke is supposedly full of security holes, which is why PostNuke was created as a fork of PHPNuke. If this all holds true (can anyone else verify this? I'm just working off of hearsay as I've never used both), I'd suggest PostNuke instead of PHPNuke.
    PostNuke is a fork, but it's been completely rebuilt to fix all the things "wrong" with PHP Nuke. In fact, it hasn't even reached 1.0 status yet, but it is much better and faster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kansas411
    PostNuke is a fork, but it's been completely rebuilt to fix all the things "wrong" with PHP Nuke. In fact, it hasn't even reached 1.0 status yet, but it is much better and faster.
    That's what I thought. Thanks for the verification!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely go with PHPbb. It's free, and it has virtually every forum feature you can think of. The admin panel is very good too. Plus it's easy to customize with the many skins available through phpbb.com. If you have a host that uses a c-panel admin, it's as easy as clicking the fantastico plug-in link at the top of your admin and voila! it's installed.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too would suggest going with phpBB. You can check out a hacked implementation using phpBB at

www.pagalguy.com/cat/

For the price, they are perfect. But for a solid community forum, you should definitely consider Vbulletin.

Warm Regards,
    Allwin Agnel - sales@neutralweb.com
    Neutral Web - Redefining Hosting - Multiple Domain Hosting
    http://www.neutralweb.com - Rock solid DUAL XEON Servers.
    http://forum.neutralweb.com - Our Community and Testimonials !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep.... i second everyone on PostNuke for CMS, or PHPBB for forum !!! the best in business with the word "free" !

-ruchir
    Peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    may i know what is postnuke and phpnuke
    pls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rotero
    pls
    Both are Content Management Systems, CMS for short. They allow a user to add things llike users, downloads, polls, etc. without the user having to do much work.

Check them out:
    http://www.phpnuke.com
    http://www.postnuke.com <--------- recommended

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rotero
    pls
    to explain a bit better,

for a website, if u have a lot of pages, or need to handle your site with content easily, there is something called a Content Management System(CMS),.... Postnuke and PHPnuke are two free CMSs, while there are user made CMSs for their own site, and some are sold too,.... but Postnuke nad PHPnuke are usually preferred,.... they not only help u manage websites doing/ easily following their read-me files, but also with good themes, and related content options like polls, help enhance ur site.... that'sone of the easiest ways to post up a site....

-ruchir
    Peace.

SEO Link Building Master I, Brian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried phpbb once and didn't like it at all. Seemed very unfriendly for customising. Sure, if you can code php I'm sure the system is a doddle.

I use Yabb SE which is also free, and much better than phpbb IMHO. However, you're unlikely to find a postnuke application for YaBB SE.

If you're wanting to put money into the system then only real choice is VBulletin.
    Internet Business Forums - free business help & advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP-Nuke does have its flaws (however there are many patches available) but it does pack alot of features, not least a fully integrated forum (phpBB)

If your looking for a guide, check out The Complete Idiots Guide to PHP-Nuke

Once you figure out how it works (which took me a few days) you'll see its a very powerful piece of software, plus there are literally thousands of hacks and modules available to do anything you could possibly want.

Have fun...
    ZOO
    Rick

SEO Link Building Master I, Brian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, if I remember right, isn't phpnuke one big ugly lump of exploitable code, and that the way to go is postnuke??
    Internet Business Forums - free business help & advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronicles
    Actually, if I remember right, isn't phpnuke one big ugly lump of exploitable code, and that the way to go is postnuke??
    Well thats a matter of opinion - there's no denying its a powerful piece of software though.

Anyway - I havn't found nearly the same level of support sites, hacks, tweaks etc for postnuke as I have for phpNuke, which is one of the main reasons I prefer it..

ZOO
    Rick

SitePoint Enthusiast Br00klynzzFinEST's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know... I prefer phpnuke over postnuke. Im a GUI freak and phpnuke has a graphical Admin control panel where phpnuke does not.

Ive tried both, along with several other Free CMS systems and i prefer phpnuke with phpbb installed.

I know im loading the sites on a DSL line.. (@home and @work) but even still my entire site loads in under 2 seconds...

Everything has some hole somewhere... nothing is every 100% free or otherwise. To say postnuke is holeless just means no one has found the hole yet.

Phpnuke releases regualar security patches on an as needed basis. I personally dont mind taking the 30 seconds to install them.

Inaddition... postnuke stock... fresh d/l has many less features than a stock d/l of phpnuke.