SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I launched http://www.xtradirectory.co.uk back in august and had it reviewed to death! Since then it has had a full facelift especially the homepage. I would really appreciate as many comments as possible as it is being advertised heavily in the next couple of weeks. There is still a lot of work to do on it but you can get the general idea now. Thanks in advance.

[Edited by Ian on 10-23-2000 at 11:25 AM]

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tech Info: Pentium III 700 MhZ Dell, T3 Connection, 800X600.

The colors are very nice. They don't hit you like a brick wall. Navigation is fairly easy. However, I would not use the top navigation bar that goes down when the user scrolls. I would use a stationary one since the moving one gets annoying after a while. Besides that I like the site. Nice Job!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

win98/2 sony17se alas a verge s3

comments do not mean anything is wrong, but may provide another view of a potential problem.

there ia about a verticle pixtel more blue in the top of the spotlight on than in the stay in touch or search advertisers.

alignment of best of xtra, talk to someone and see what's on offer.

thanks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lan

here's my specs - 17", NT, IE5.5, 196Ram, DSL, 800x600

Loaded pretty fast after it finally connected - could be b/c of UK host.

i see you are big on borders on your tables

The nav. bar floating down is fine - but it doesn't look good when you scroll down and the nav. bar moves but doesn't stay at the top of the screen. it leaves a space above it where you can see the background. I would make it align to the very top - just my opinion.

the maroon or brown - whatever it is - looks fine. but, i'm not sure how well it goes w/ the pastels of yellow, pink and light blue.

Overall - it's a good site - lots of good content.

js

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care for the moving nav bar either. Hides the pictures when I scroll down.

The three borders around "spotlight on", "stay in touch", and "search advertisers" don't quite line up.

The last menu item for all your dropdowns just have a "." no description.

You have two links back to your home page. One X'tra Info, and one in Around Yorkshire.

there's a small white | to the right of each menu item. But it changes to red when the link to the *right* is moused over. Kind of confusing there.

When I went to the Search This Site link, the navigation on the top changed completely. I would suggest always keeping your navigation the same throughout the entire site. You want to keep things as consistent for your viewers as possible. The easier to get around the better. If I decided to Search by Area, I have to hit back, and then navigat to it.
    Other than that, looks like you've got a good thing going.
    Daniel Short
    DHTMLShock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your comments guys. You are right about the nested tables not sitting tight up to the top and bottom. Trouble is I don't quite know how to achieve that yet, anyone got any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found your site well laid out and seems to do what you intended.

Things I didn't like.

Shadows on some of the names made them iritating to read for me anyway.
    The 2 pictures on your home page. They seem too dark and don't make me want to see more of Yorkshire. They also don't seem crisp more like thumbnails. Maybe if they were slightly wider.