SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS layout vs CMS (WYSIWYG)

So I've been making my layouts using css for a while now, and although DW is my primary tool the way that the pages are displayed hasn't bothered me as the design view button has cobwebs growing on it...
    but...
    quite a few of my clients like to make small updates themselves and sometimes I have to pass sites on to places where they have in-house developers...
    and suddenly I'm getting complaint/comments about how they couldn't use their wysisyg editors very easily, and/or questions about how this style thing works...

So what does this mean to me?
    well do I go back to nasty tabled layout choc full of font tags?
    well I can probably avoid the font tags but not the tables if these clients are to be able to edit...

Or do I trick their editors into believing that they are seeing unstyled content and then spend 15 mins per day assuring clients that the pages will look right when published?

My next thing will be to check how my code looks in contribute... I'm not hopeful

has anybody else come across this issue?
    Last edited by pissant; Apr 21, 2003 at 21:19.

Web-coding NINJA! silver trophy beetle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, I'd try to talk them into editing their HTML old-skool style, where it all looks plain. Don't let them have the stylesheet or something. That should work.
    beetle a.k.a. Peter Bailey
    blogs: php | prophp | security | design | zen | software
    refs: dhtml | gecko | prototype | phpdocs | unicode | charsets
    tools: ide | ftp | regex | ffdev

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I haven't had a problem with Contribute not reading my stylesheets. I'm not too sure what your issue really is. Yes, sometimes if I come up with a CSS layout that's really tricky and advanced it may not display correctly in Dreamweaver/Contribute; is that the issue you're having? My simple layouts, however, usually work (aside from margin:auto; which doesn't seem to work in DW).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for Contribute, the pages will look a little funny in edit mode. I will use those yellow arrows when it runs across PHP and other elements. But it works great. Being able to set permissions and such ensures that no one but yourself can screw up the layout. (depending on how strict you set the accounts)

Contribute works great, stick to CSS and XHTML, and just work around the visual mess in edit mode.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vischo
    As for Contribute, the pages will look a little funny in edit mode. I will use those yellow arrows when it runs across PHP and other elements. But it works great. Being able to set permissions and such ensures that no one but yourself can screw up the layout. (depending on how strict you set the accounts)
    I agree there. Contribute tends to choke on server-side scripting, and doesn't display include files (a problem since that's how I template pages here at work). However, if you leave out non-essential information in those includes (i.e. a common header and footer shouldn't be touched anyway), and create administration tools for your database/server-side information, then Contribute will work for its intended purpose: updating static information on a Web page. It's been a fairly decent working compromise at my job for the two or three people testing out Contribute right now.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    I haven't had a problem with Contribute not reading my stylesheets. I'm not too sure what your issue really is. Yes, sometimes if I come up with a CSS layout that's really tricky and advanced it may not display correctly in Dreamweaver/Contribute; is that the issue you're having? My simple layouts, however, usually work (aside from margin:auto; which doesn't seem to work in DW).
    yes this is exactly what I am talking about, complex layouts, with lots of CSS-p, the kind of stuff that when viewed in DW looks a real mess, and is hard for users to update because they can't 'see' what they are doing...
    plus I have given out a few simple php and perl cms programs and they all use tables and fonts tags when the user enters content...
    basically what I am trying to say is that now that more of us are using css at least to style fonts, if not to layout sites the next step is to start to educate all the people out there who know a smidge of html and now need to operate in a new zone...
    well I thought it was interesting!

Web-coding NINJA! silver trophy beetle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some textarea replacements allow you do pre-define CSS classes for use via a dropdown in the controls. Integrated into a CMS, it's fantastic.
    beetle a.k.a. Peter Bailey
    blogs: php | prophp | security | design | zen | software
    refs: dhtml | gecko | prototype | phpdocs | unicode | charsets
    tools: ide | ftp | regex | ffdev