SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know whether it is appropriate in this section.

Instead of using meta tag to do redirect, how can I stop someone to bookmark a page? Any script or code? (applicable to all browsers?)

Pls. advise. Thanks!
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhmmm.. Why don't you want ppl to bookmark your page? If it's a page that's gonna move around fairly frequently you can do re-directs on the 404s to the correct page.

I know it's nearly impossible to block Netscape, because they press Ctrl+D and it's impossible to 'block certain keystrokes' from occurring. I'm also fairly sure this might be the case with IE.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My client does not want someone bookmarks the login page, and want to ensure that their visitors must go to their homepage to login.

However, in their homepage, there is no "real login box". It just a link going to the login page. Therefore, re-direction will create an infinite loop.

If don't change the design, the only way is to ensure that visitors cannot bookmark the login page.
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh, clients, the bane of all web designers

Seriously, tell your client that what he's wishing for is impossible, but if he'd like it to be implemented, to send a cheque for $10K to Microsoft and Netscape.

I just did some research and conclude that it's nigh on impossible to prevent someone from bookmarking a page.

The best way to get around it is to use a server side language like ASP or PHP to create a cookie or authenticate a user so that the server detects whether or not a person has accessed the home page before trying to get into the login page.

(so for example, let's call the home page Page 1 and the login page Page 2. Using whatever server-side language you have available, you code a cookie on Page 2. This cookie will detect whether the user has gone to Page 1 before accessing Page 2. If not, then the cookie will send the user back to Page 1. If the user has gone to Page 1 before accessing Page 2, then the cookie lets the user through to the login page).

It still doesn't prevent someone from bookmarking the login page however But it's the best way around it, and it's not hard to do it using a server side language.

If you do go ahead, I suggest going over the Server Side Scripting forum and ask for pointers as to how to do so. It shouldn't be hard - good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always randomize the url for the login page, so if they do bookmark it, it'll trigger a 404 and you can redirect to the homepage and link to the current url.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How to randomize the URL of the login page?