SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Menu Issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Menu Issues

Ok, this has a story. I am rebuilding our company's website, and in trying to reorganize the content, I am employing a drop-down menu system. Originally, my team and I decided to go with a menu built with layered images, constructed through DreamWeaver. The main content is displayed using an iframe. Problems arose, when we tried to veiw the site using Netscape and early versions fo IE. I have yet to try Opera. When the menu was used in Netscape, users could never roll over the sub menus, as they would disappear before a selection could be made. In early IE versions, the menu system would seem to work, but the sub-menus would be hidden behind the iframe.

Long story short, I decided to use a Javascript menu. Now, the problem came when I assigned the target HTML to be displayed in the iframe. The menu subsequently started to re-loacte to inside the iframe, instead of near the top of the screen where I had positioned it useing CSS. I tried to create another frame to "house" the menu then, but this did not work either, since the menu seems to nee to be reloaded upon using a link from the menu.

All in all, I have had terrible luck trying to get this menu to work with the iframe. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can use a drop down menu and an iframe???

Drew
    ~Drew

There Is No Greater Joy Than Soaring High On The Wings Of Your Dreams, Except Maybe The Joy Of Watching A Dreamer Who Has Nowhere To Land But In The Ocean Of Reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any spefic reason that you are using an iframe for your content?

Is the content DB driven or is it statid HTML?
    My postings are a natural product.
    The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its
    individual character and beauty and in no way are to be
    considered flaws or defects - http://www.guinnesspig.net

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the answer to <iframe> and old Netscape 4.7x is it does not affectively support that element.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

answers

The design of the page is such, that pages longer than a certain length would skew the design we are going for. The logical choice is to use an iframe so that all content can be displayed, while keeping the overall page the same. The content is static, not DB driven.

The page actually won't work properly in any browser < IE6 and Netscape 7 which does support iframes.

Drew
    ~Drew

There Is No Greater Joy Than Soaring High On The Wings Of Your Dreams, Except Maybe The Joy Of Watching A Dreamer Who Has Nowhere To Land But In The Ocean Of Reality.