SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Organic traffic down 50% for no reason

This is an SEO request not about design.

I have spent much time trying to do "what Google wants". I have written weekly blog posts in my WordPress blog since 2006. I have tried to write useful articles for others in my niche and I have been rewarded with loyal followers.

Off-site I have only got natural in-bound links from people who like my stuff and I've only ever done maybe 10 guest posts. I also get natural social shares. I have never indulged in any paid links as far as I'm aware.

Ever since 2006 my organic Google rankings and organic traffic has been increasing, as you'd expect as I constantly add quality articles.

However, since at least the beginning of the year my organic traffic has started to fall to a point I now have the same traffic as two years ago!

This is quite an extreme drop of at least 50% of organic traffic.

It looks like I've suffering some Google penalty but, for what, I don't know.

Any suggestions? The site is http://robcubbon.com

Thank you.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I look over your backlinks, I can see that you are quite the blog commenter, and participate on sites where they are talking about building traffic and links and spinning articles, etc. Within those links I found there to be a lot of optimized anchor text as well. I think your site can somewhat be profiled as being active in SEO, building links, and being associated with others that do the same (ex. other blog commenters). I would just suggest that you slow down a little on this practice. Work with the traffic you are getting now to make them more interested in participating and returning to your site (newsletter?), and a little less on seeking link placements.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello dvduval, thank you for looking at this. I'm really surprised by your findings. Yes, I have found SEO and building links interesting in the past but I'm really surprised that this was evident in the link profile. I comment on lots of blogs about a variety of subjects around graphic and web design mostly, but also some really successful blogs like SmartPassiveIncome, ViperChill, CopyBlogger, etc., and moreover, my interest in SEO and link-building really took a nose dive after Penguin and, don't forget, the decrease in traffic has come in the last few months.

All my organic traffic comes from hundreds of thousands of long-tail search terms that gave me 1000 visitors a day from Google a few months ago and less than 500 now.

So, I will be slowing down on this practice, in fact, I'll not be commenting on these types of blogs in the future and, yes, concentrating on my list and social media.

In some ways this lack of Google traffic has been strangely liberating as I'm left with a core audience who are really interested in what I do. However, I would like to get to the bottom of this.

If what you say is true it seems a very savage over-reaction from Google to me but I'm not an expert in these matters.

Again, I'm really grateful for the input, thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you need to rethink what your doing with your site, are you still writing in the same way you did in 2006? or have you caught up with recent trends. Is what you're writing about to the same quality which you used to do. I tend to find that with blog sites and news sites in general, visitors can flucuate all the time, up one minute down the other. Also i agree with what smanaher said.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you search google, you see few pages into front page. Many visitors click the first pages title. So keyword is very important to stay into google first page and increase visitor into your website.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to say my writing has improved and I've caught up with trends. I've also added video and audio and I write a lot more (not more regularly but longer articles). Anyway, rankings have dropped so I'm not doing as well in the search engines as I used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my personal opinion, you have to pay much more attention for hith quality contents rather than quantity and enhance your link visibility on social media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need backlinks from authority websites. Nowadays social media plays the main role when you rank you site. 2 days ago penguin 2.0 had launched and it will destroy websites with spam links. You need handmade quality backlinks and everything will be ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backlinks from authority sites = Good idea, but if your niche belongs to huge competition list, you will have to make some improvement in your technique, seo technique and promo technique, as SEO become less reliable each time. Have you tried seomoz offer??

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can be doing all of the right things and Google can still penalize you based on some aspect of their complex algorithm that we don't know about. The best thing to do in the long run is just about always creating high quality content that people like to link to. It sucks, but everybody's in the same boat and there's no quick fixes that don't get seen by Google in the long run.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone. I've had "SEO experts" go through my backlinks and they say they're pretty good. I I have pretty good social signals. Some of my content has been scraped and there's dodgy backlinks there. Also I have site-wide footer links in the websites I have design. So I'm going to experiment taking some of them off. So far disavowing links has made the problem worse not better.

I agree with walkingawayfromd

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Rubcon, Do not spend much time on "what google wants" , you rather spend time on what your "users want" , automatically you will be optimizing for Google because thats where google is heading.
    Coming to the SEO bit, The top fold of the page is very important there must be a lot of content else google thinks its a poor quality site, so I would suggest you either decrease your font size or restructure the content page so that more text shows up in top fold. As I see there seems nothing wrong with quality of content you have , its more about the placement and presentation.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should continue your work. Create quality content that users like, Increase social sharing, And don't target exact keywords. And if you have any kind of bad links then remove it first.

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robcub View Post

I have spent much time trying to do "what Google wants".

Do you use Google Webmaster Tools and if so are there any "Crawl Errors" or any recommended "HTML Improvements" that could be eliminated?

I noticed some advertising links on the site, are they from Google Adsense or a competitor? If the latter then maybe try adding some Google adverts
    Last edited by John_Betong; Jun 27, 2013 at 06:23. Reason: spelling: not my fortay
    Learn how to be ready for The New Move to Discourse

How to make Make Money Now with a *NEW* look

Be sure to congratulate Wolfshade on earning Member of the Month for August 2014

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are not many crawl errors on Google Webmaster Tools but I should get around to sorting them. Only Adsense, no other ads.

Thank you.