SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: MS-DOS

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a completley off-topic posting you might enjoy!

I was having a talk with one of our tech-support staff (who, aren't really any support at all), and we got onto the topic of MS-DOS.

One of the junior support peeps wanted to know why i'd bothered to learn the basics of DOS in the first place, saying no-one uses it anymore.

Of course I was outraged , but, is he right? I don't think so. Afterall, Windows is based on DOS and if Windows throws a wobbler you've got to wrestle with the command prompt to fix it right?

Opinions please!

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it's still good to know DOS.

My PC went haywire not so long ago and my HD is partitioned and everything I had was on my d:\ drive. I had to use DOS to backup all major files from the d:\ drive and I also had to use DOS to reinstall windows.

Couldn't have done it without using DOS.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm biaised (is that spelled OK?) - I was brought up on DOS. But I agree with both of you. And soon they'll be saying the same about HTML etc - sure, you can create web sites without knowing any, until something goes wrong! Then you have real problems ...

BTW, when are Microsoft going to get rid of DOS? They keep spreading rumours, but maybe they don't have 100% faith in Windows either!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dreuby
    I'm biaised (is that spelled OK?) - I was brought up on DOS. But I agree with both of you. And soon they'll be saying the same about HTML etc - sure, you can create web sites without knowing any, until something goes wrong! Then you have real problems ...

BTW, when are Microsoft going to get rid of DOS? They keep spreading rumours, but maybe they don't have 100% faith in Windows either!
    There is no DOS mode in Windows 2000 and never has been in Windows NT. As of Windows Millenium there is no DOS Mode in the consumer version of Windows. Of course both operating systems come with a command prompt so that you can use tools built for that kind of interface but they don't ship with 16 bit DOS utilities.

It would be silly to eliminate the Command Prompt, just corrupt your OS on a Macintosh and you will understand what I mean.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than "ping" and "format," I haven't used DOS in years. I won't miss it.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DOS... well... wasn't that that slim, quite buggy, 16 bits, single tasking OS?

Knowing the basic commands of DOS are more than enough IMO. Actually I know far more than just the 'basic' commands, but that's because I once was an expert in DOS, far back in 1991/92

DOS is totally outdated and shouldn't be used any longer IMHO. If you're looking for a stable, 32 bits, multi tasking OS that can work from the commandline (that excludes Win2k, NT, ME, 98, 98se, MacOS, BeOS), than you should look for Linux or a similar OS.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember back in the good old days on my first proper PC when you had to rewrite the start-up files and make a seperate boot disk for every game you had.

Ah, the nostalgia, in the end I wrote a start menu thing that listed all my games and set the pooter up properly for each one.

I wonder if I can still remember how to write those?

*potters over to 486*

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one example of a task I had to perform this morning that Windows can't do but DOS can do so easily:
    I had a whole bunch of PHP files with the extension .php3 (about 40-50). My webserver doesn't support .php3, only .php, so I had to rename them all.
    In Windows this is a pretty long winded, task, but in DOS its simple. Just load up my Win2k command prompt, change to the folder, and type "ren *.php3 *.php"
    Just shows that DOS is still useful, without it I would have had a long and boring job..

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss DOS and the days before the internet came public. Perhaps not because of the operating system itself, but because it was real fun to exchange the latest demos via floppy disks with people all over the world, sometimes even faster than to download from a BBS back then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see the problem with keeping MS-DOS in WinME... it has some features people still use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a bit off the topic but i have a boxed, still in its shrink rap DOS version 2.

It is like my shrine to Microsoft (not that i like the *******s or anything).

Just thought id throw that in...
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep hold of it - when Microsoft open a museum to their Beloved Leader, you'll be able to sell it back to them for a fortune ...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke

There is no DOS mode in Windows 2000 and never has been in Windows NT. As of Windows Millenium there is no DOS Mode in the consumer version of Windows. Of course both operating systems come with a command prompt so that you can use tools built for that kind of interface but they don't ship with 16 bit DOS utilities.
    Actually, even in WinME, DOS is alive and well running underneath and it is only a bit of hexediting a COMMAND.com and IO.SYS to restore full `F8` type functionality to WinME

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definetly not, i had to go into dos many times to fix what windows messed up, windows 98 is just windows 95 service pack 11
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be silly to eliminate the Command Prompt, just corrupt your OS on a Macintosh and you will understand what I mean.
    But windows 2000 will still run on dos.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as we are developers who wants to know how to make a dos-based program, I have made several basic ones when I was 8 years old
    Ace Nova
    Football Man
    InternetSprite.Com - Coming Soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by FluffykinsOf course I was outraged , but, is he right? I don't think so. Afterall, Windows is based on DOS and if Windows throws a wobbler you've got to wrestle with the command prompt to fix it right?

My understanding is that up until Windows 3.x, the operating system was DOS based with Windows being a software program that lets you interact with DOS. With the advent of Windows 95 - just the opposite happened. The OS is Windows and the MS-DOS prompt is a program that lets you interact with Windows. That's why all the Mac folks laughed, they had already had a graphics based OS for 11 years.

This is different from HTML. No matter how sophisticated the WYSIWYG editors become, HTML will still be the underlying structure, thus, it's always a must know.

[Edited by westmich on 10-28-2000 at 11:29 PM]
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by necrominator

But windows 2000 will still run on dos.
    Windows 2000 does not actually run on DOS. WinNT never has properly run on DOS and Win2k is just WinNT 5. That is one of the things that makes win2k so stable...there's no DOS to bring it down to its knees...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The absence of DOS in win2k, and NT is a problem for many people. Some compilers cannot be run, and alot of games require DOS.

However for your average office Network win2k is perfect. It offers stability, scalability, and a great GUI.
    The thing is that Microsoft have obviously anticipated the removal of DOS at win2k level, and they should have warned the world, so to speak, so that other programming enterprises could move away from using DOS technologies in their software.
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep hold of it - when Microsoft open a museum to their Beloved Leader, you'll be able to sell it back to them for a fortune ...
    Im sure they already have a museum.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They actually do have a museum
    I believe its in Redmond right near the home of Bill Gates himself
    In there are some of the original handwritten plans for MS, as well as some of the early software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to Seattle in November. I'll have to make the pilgrimage.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums