SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kisumu, Kenya
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Have you experience a situation where your keyword position keeps changing in a day?

    I am using a certain keyword rank checking tool(cuterank) and from it, i see my position on Google keeps changing several times in a day, in fact using another firefox add on(seoquake) indicates my backlinks number pages too in a day. Does this change be the reasons why my position keeps changing several times in a day?

  2. #2
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    alabamaseo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is referred to as a "Google Dance".

    It typically occurs before your site see's an increase in ranking.
    Levy's Fine Jewelry- buyers and sellers of modern, antique, and estate jewelry

  3. #3
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kisumu, Kenya
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there anything I can do about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by alabamaseo View Post
    This is referred to as a "Google Dance".

    It typically occurs before your site see's an increase in ranking.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    alabamaseo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its usually a good situation because it means your site ranking is about to increase for these keywords (It could also mean decrease as Google is constantly changing. I am in no way claiming to understand the details of Google's algorithm.)

    Either way, it should level out in a couple of days.

    It should also be noted that sometimes, particular sites will rank higher when you are logged in than when you are not.
    Levy's Fine Jewelry- buyers and sellers of modern, antique, and estate jewelry

  5. #5
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kisumu, Kenya
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank a lot, that is so good of you.

  6. #6
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to add, I would avoid over checking Serps.

    Your ranking is going to depend on not only on-page and back links you have built but the sites the back links sit on as well as competing sites..

    checking once a week can often be considered overkill and I will only check more often if I have made changes to content and I want to see the effect.

    With regards to the 'logged in comment', you need to avoid like the plague as these are Google personalized results, they can not be trusted with regards to SERP.

    I would only ever check using a 3rd party tool (which would not be affected by your Google account) or using the incognito mode in chrome (although I have had personalised results using this on occasion.)

  7. #7
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kisumu, Kenya
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your useful contribution. If my target markets are USA,UK,Canada and Australia, will building backlinks from .com.au,co.uk and .ca will in ranking especillay in google and Bing australia,google and Bing UK,google and Bing USA and google and Bing canada?

    Quote Originally Posted by websitesbymark View Post
    I'm going to add, I would avoid over checking Serps.

    Your ranking is going to depend on not only on-page and back links you have built but the sites the back links sit on as well as competing sites..

    checking once a week can often be considered overkill and I will only check more often if I have made changes to content and I want to see the effect.

    With regards to the 'logged in comment', you need to avoid like the plague as these are Google personalized results, they can not be trusted with regards to SERP.

    I would only ever check using a 3rd party tool (which would not be affected by your Google account) or using the incognito mode in chrome (although I have had personalised results using this on occasion.)

  8. #8
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK lets take a step back and think how a site gets indexed. Generally a site is visited by a spider coming from a third party site via an outbound link.

    Therefore if the site providing the backlink is 'findable' on the search engine of choice it will be counted (in very general terms)

    Don't get caught up in building multiple sets of results, think in term that for a sites backlink to give me benefit if its listed on the search engine I'm interested in and its related to my site, its a good link... (There are exceptions to this but its a good general guide)

    Avoid back linking schemes and other short cuts...

    Also avoid any tool that will give you a flood of links. In short if you have a site with few links, generating hundreds in a short period of time will potentially cause a Google flag etc.. Think in terms of short and steady and you wont go far wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by whitehatseosuite View Post
    Thanks for your useful contribution. If my target markets are USA,UK,Canada and Australia, will building backlinks from .com.au,co.uk and .ca will in ranking especillay in google and Bing australia,google and Bing UK,google and Bing USA and google and Bing canada?

  9. #9
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kisumu, Kenya
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this useful information


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •