SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you have a hyperlink, it is displayed bold and underlined by default. You can create a rollover effect and change the color, but how can you change the general look of the link: like not underlined?

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To remove the underline use text-decoration: none

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code:
    A:link {text-decoration: none [underline,strikethrough]
    }

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are using a text editor like frontpage 2000 you can easily use the dhtml effect and on rollover you can have it do a few different things.

spdrcr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend using plain old CSS rather than anything generated by FrontPage - which is essentially modified CSS anyway "<syle fprolloverstyle="blah"> - things like that.

I'd use the code temis posted...make sure to put it in the HEAD tags of your page, though.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DreamDevil
    When you have a hyperlink, it is displayed bold and underlined by default. You can create a rollover effect and change the color, but how can you change the general look of the link: like not underlined?
    I agree that removing the underline from links makes them more attractive. However, I think that this in turn may cause certain problems. Check out Jakob Nielsen's site if you get the chance. I have just got his new book and it is brilliant!

http://www.useit.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicky...my opinion of you just dropped a notch. For you to say that Neilsen is brilliant is amazing. That guy is a pompous, arrogant, bag of wind.

I admit he does have some good points, but if you go to his site, you will notice that he continually puts himself forward as an "expert". I think that he is full of doo-doo.

Just because you can talk about a subject and force your opinions on another person does not make you an expert. In fact it makes you a pest. (him, not you, to prevent any misunderstanding)
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    Originally posted by DreamDevil
    I agree that removing the underline from links makes them more attractive. However, I think that this in turn may cause certain problems. Check out Jakob Nielsen's site if you get the chance. I have just got his new book and it is brilliant!

http://www.useit.com
    One problem it can create, is that newbies might not be able to conise that its a link without the underline.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    Nicky...my opinion of you just dropped a notch. For you to say that Neilsen is brilliant is amazing. That guy is a pompous, arrogant, bag of wind.

I admit he does have some good points, but if you go to his site, you will notice that he continually puts himself forward as an "expert". I think that he is full of doo-doo.

Just because you can talk about a subject and force your opinions on another person does not make you an expert. In fact it makes you a pest. (him, not you, to prevent any misunderstanding)
    I agree with you on certain respects. He is pompus and he does force his ideas upon people. On the other hand, I happen to think that most of the things that he says (Note I say "most") are very valid points, and are only ignored by people who do not want to face the fatc that what they are doing might not be the best option for their users. I guess these thoughts come from the fact that I am from a HCI/usability background, hence users are more important than presentational design!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jumpthru
    [BOne problem it can create, is that newbies might not be able to conise that its a link without the underline. [/B]
    Not to mention that I've seen many sites that do this, AND have the text color the same as the link color! C'mon now! Are they hoping that I'll just run my mouse over the entire screen hoping to find the magic 'hidden links' ???

The one time I think this really works fine is when you have small text links at the bottom and/or top in a row like this:

home | products | otherstuff | contact | lastlink
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.
    Chicken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for not taking my post personally Nicky...
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes