SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be QuIcK or i am DeaD :>! Anyone who knows asp....

-The situation

I have to make an assigment for tommorow and i have about 12-15 hours left....it is on ASP and guess.... i dont know a single thing!

-The case:

An airline web page in which the user can reserve a seat in the fligh.

A simple page in asp which will be connected with a very simple database in Microsoft access (2-3 tables) where the flight info will be shown and the user could reserve a seat.

-The request

Could someone do that for me, i imagine if someone knows a bit asp wouldnot be very difficult, i would do it myself if i had the time but unfortunately i dont <

Any help is acceptable :>
    Thanks guys

psilos2000@hotmail.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think anyone is going to do a school assignment for you :P

12-15 hours is plenty of time to do an assignment, shoulda tried.

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you make it quite clear that you know nothing, you haven't put *any* effort in to learning, and you've joined SPF today for the sole purpose of posting this single message so that someone here can bail you out, I wouldn't hold your breath. Sorry.
    MarcusJT
    - former ASP web developer / former SPF "ASP Guru"
    - *very* old blog with some useful ASP code

- Please think, Google, and search these forums before posting!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok guys, it is not that i asked someone to make me a nuclear reactor interface. or i am going to make any money form such an assigment.

If a knew how to do it and someone asked me to , i would do it in a sec without hesitation.

But that is just me

Thanx anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you obviously (I, and M@rco, assume) had time to learn how to do this beforehand, and I dont think that you asking was the problem as much as your lack of effort. This is a very helpful bunch of people on this board that are prepared to help, just not for someone who does not try and help themself first

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The very point of an assignment is that you do it yourself - if someone else does it for you, it's entirely worthless. I suggest asking for an extending of the deadline, and learn how to do it properly, and we will be happy to answer your questions.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are all right and that is crystal clear.
    but desparate situations require depsarate measures.

That is why i did all this.
    I'am giving this in 3 hours time, and after epxerimenting all morning with asp i could'nt even manage to show my database in the page.

So i just started doing it in vb with the few amount of knowledge that i have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. These forums are fantastic as long as you respect your fellow community member. It does seem like you didn't bother learning anything and then just decided that try to hand it off to the helpful community.

When I ask questions, unless I am totally in the dark, I make stabs at attempts to understand the process of the solution; otherwise you end up learning nothing.

Sorry to say this, but it looks like you're dead.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aaron and everyone else i would like to clear something out. It is easy to picture in my posts a lammer user with no computing skills that had to do something which he didn't care at all, and just fantasized that someone else would put the effort for him.

i had NO choice at the time being, but instead of troubling everyone with my personal problems i just asked for some help.

In the other hand you had the choice, and you all made the easy choice of lecturing me on how naive i was and disrespectful for the forum.

What is done is done, I hope everyone has perfect Easter holidays, including myself!
    kisses from Greece
    Last edited by tsitsos; Apr 23, 2003 at 10:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tsitsos, I don't think anyone intended to lecture you on the moral of your post. To be honest, before anyone posted a reply, I was actually thinking whether to help you or lecture you. As much as I wanted to help, your problem isn't one where a bit of ASP knowledge would suffice to solve it. C'mon, your functionality specification is just about lacking every aspect I can think of:

An airline web page in which the user can reserve a seat in the fligh.

A simple page in asp which will be connected with a very simple database in Microsoft access (2-3 tables) where the flight info will be shown and the user could reserve a seat.
    Do you realize how flaky this description is? Do I reserve a seat during the flight itself, or from anywhere else? How does the booking get transacted? When does the customer get billed? Can the customer cancel the flight (as is pretty common in these scenarios)? Further, a simple database with 2-3 tables of what? Should I store information about what color socks the customer was wearing when he booked a seat? Does the database store the user info and which info? Does the database need semi-transactional security (semi- because it is Access :-P )? And last but not least, what will the user be shown? 'Thank you for booking a flight with ZZZ Airlines' or 'Thanky you have a nice day'?

C'mon Tsitsos, sorry for being sarcastic in my questions, but those are the questions I asked myself when I was considering to really help you and write the app for you. If you would have at least given it a bit more conceptual thought, people like me could have helped easilly. So please, do not blame the forum regulars, many of whom have helped others for years for no reason other than being kind and sharing their knowledge and time. They did not make an easy choice, they took the only choice you left them by not having even thought about the concept of your requirements.

To cut it short, you don't go upto anyone and tell em 'Oi lads, I want an ecommerce solution!!! In 15 hours that is!'

Thanks, hope you enjoyed easter too
    Karl

I'm desperately trying to figure out why Kamikaze pilots wore helmets. - George Carlin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if you do have a situation like this, where for some reason you want someone to make something completely for you (and not just answer a question) then the Trading Post forum is where you should be. Offer money and people will do what you need if your pay is enough.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, now it is to late anyway, but i donít want any question to be left to anyone.

When i said simple asp page and a simple database i meant it, and i didnít go into more details because i would do that if someone decided to help me, so i would personally contact him and wouldn't waste the space of the forum any more.

In more detail Karlof. To answer your questions about specifications, none of those you mentioned! An access database with 2 tables the first table "customer" where "name" "surname" and "flight no" would be stored. the second "flight" where flight no,departure,arive,place and time, along as seats available would be stored.

The asp page as simple as it gets. No transaction, No security, No Customer details. Just 2 simple pages. One a form where the client would fill in his name his surname and the flightno he would like. And another one which would show the flights and the clients that are in.

So...my humble belief is that someone with your(not only yours, in general) amounts of asp knowledge could cope with that task. Something that was too much for me, to do in 15 hours with absolutely no knowledge of asp or what so ever.

To cut the long speech short, if anyone had given me the change i would have gone all the way in details as for why i asked for such a thing and what was the exact specifications.

SitePoint Evangelist Mr. Brownstone's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want to learn how to script pages in ASP?
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the feeling this is for a class of some sort. If it's for an ASP/VB class, then have you been attending, reading the material and following along, trying to learn everything you can? When you posted this, it did sound like you had a school assignment, you had no clue how to do it, and you wanted to push it off on someone else.

The people on this board are not going to help you in this kind of situation for a few reasons. 1) It would be cheating, and that's wrong. 2) If you want to be an ASP developer, you need to learn it yourself. It's okay to ask for help now and then, but not to ask someone to just do it for you. 3) We all know that for every good developer out there, there are 10 bad developers, and none of us want to get stuck fixing the mistakes of those bad developers. Believe me, I've done enough of that and it's not exactly fun...

Am I right, everyone?

Now, tsitsos, if you want to learn ASP, we will all be more than happy to help you. Use the link Mike posted above and when you run into questions, you can post them here. You'll be certain to get a quick response.

Good day...

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjmedlock
    Am I right, everyone?
    Bang on.
    And it's nice to not have to be the one saying it for once... lol
    MarcusJT
    - former ASP web developer / former SPF "ASP Guru"
    - *very* old blog with some useful ASP code

- Please think, Google, and search these forums before posting!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    naramation great site!!! thanks for the sharing.

davisjmedlock you are perfectly right but that doesn't apply to me for a little fact, i never indented to be a asp developer or an web developer, what so ever. It was just a course in which the clown who wants to be called professor assigned us practically the last moment this project.

I would have asked him for help, if he knew a single think about asp , or if i could understand at all what he is saying. He seems to lack common professor skills, such as clear speech, coherent thought and above the minimum intelligence.

I suggest that you all do what naramation did. SHARE!

Viva La resistance!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I think that even with 0% asp knowledge, or html knowledge at all, it would've been a fairly easy assignment to do.

I remember my first webapp... had something running after a couple of hours, I think everybody did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I think the main points have been discussed aplenty by now, and tsitsos got the message. Rather than 'banning' or 'STFU-ing' a lazy person, I would ban those who latently insult users, and use language inappropriate on a developer forum. I fail to see how his request can provoke such hard feelings with some...
    Karl

I'm desperately trying to figure out why Kamikaze pilots wore helmets. - George Carlin

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karloff
    Hey, I think the main points have been discussed aplenty by now, and tsitsos got the message. Rather than 'banning' or 'STFU-ing' a lazy person, I would ban those who latently insult users, and use language inappropriate on a developer forum. I fail to see how his request can provoke such hard feelings with some...
    Indeed. I've removed those posts, and warned the users.

edit: I also suggest that you use the new Reputation System to give feedback in situations like this.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com