SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moulding a forum to a particular content style

I don't mean the general topic, it's easy to create a forum and say, 'Okay, this is about Web Design' etc. What I mean is that certain things are or are not accepted on different communities, and they have a different style to them.

For example, take a look at http://community.sigames.com/1/OpenT...6&f=8191933985. A great deal of the threads are nonsensical, although they still recieve a great deal of replies, and users take abuse on the chin (It seems all part of the 'fun'.)

Basically, what I'm asking is how did this community become this way, and what made for example, sitepointforums.com take a different route. How can you encourage a community to move in one direction or another?

Thanks.
    State-of-the-art Internet Solutions
    www.vexcell.co.uk
    info@vexcell.co.uk

inititiation : inspiration : innovation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends with different communities and it all depends on the administrators of the forums. Often, they add forums because of a suggestion and demand for that forum (e.g. newbie welcome). If you want your forum to be focussed on a specific array of topics then just ignore suggestions from your users pertaining to new forums that don't fit your goals.

-rsdl