SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My recommend-it button has been viewed probably 40,000 times, but has been used 19 times. Pretty bad rate I'd say. I already have a "Get a shot at $10,000" teaser on there too.

Anybody have better success with that service? How about other similar services? I have another site where I use ewomp, with only marginally better success.

I have also used a Tell-A-Friend script installed on my server (on a site getting about 100,000 main page views per month), not much use of that either.

I am starting to think that these types of marketing techniques take up more real estate on the web page than they are worth. Thoughts? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree completely.

You would be better off trading buttons with another site or putting a paid button there. http://www.advertising.com & http://www.dimeclicks.com both do buttons.

Padraic Lavin

Advertising Free Message Boards $5/mo
    Instant Setup. ForumCo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the Recommend-It! service on my site and while it isn't hugely used, it certaintly gets a few recommendations. I think it's worth it - especially if I don't have anything else to put in that space.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put up a Recommend-It service on my site because of suggestions from my viewers, who said that they may not be in need of a website, but had a friend or associate who could use one, and wanted to refer my site to them. So I added the feature.. and guess what? Not one referral yet!

I'd like to have partner sites, but I don't see a need to link to my competition I don't know of many "associate sites" out there that could help augment my own. Any suggestions for this fellow Recommend-It user?
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the performance of Recommend-it is not very effective! Don't know why. Should it be better if I do my own recommendation just for my site? I dunno too!

- Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's sort of a novelty. Most folks are not so overwhelmed by a web page that they want to spam their friends about it. Perhaps it might work on a site like http://htmlguru.com but for the most part people don't use it.

Nevertheless, even if folks are not using a Tell A Friend option I believe there is still value to it.

The reason I say that is because it adds credibility to your web site. While this may be a common function for us, there are many surfers out there who will simply be impressed that you have such a service avaialble on your site. And again, it's popular right now.

So, until the "recommend it" function goes to the graveyard to lay beside trailing cursor text and dancing smiley faces, I'll keep it on my site. And who knows? I might just get someone to use it.

But that's just my own opinion. I could be wrong.
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a bookmark script button on my site scattered throughtout 1000+ pages and it only has been used 20x. And that's from a couple of million pageviews so far. I plan on removing it pretty soon. I thought it would be nice in the beginning because I use a content driven site, but I guess not.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think that, aside from Microsoft and Netscape's home pages, making anyone's website your "start page" ,no matter how great the site is, is a really difficult thing to do. I see so many virtually unheard-of search engines and niche content sites trying to do this. I wonder how many visitors actually have those sites bookmarked as their start pages?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well actually, I get alot of visitors from bookmarks by them using CTRL-D.. etc, but they don't use the 100x50 graphic bookmark button. Just my observation. I guess it's similar with ad banners where CTR is really low.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know why, who wants to send spam to a friend? unless your site is amazing, i dought many people will use it.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use send-a-link.com, a free service. It presents a small bar allowing users to "Make this your Home Page," "Tell a Friend," and "Make a Favorite." Kind of all three rolled into one. Doesn't take up much real estate though.

Don't have any ideas how many people have used it (it doesn't track users that I know of). Don't care. For myself those three options (tell-afriend,favorite,homepage) are too valuable as options to remove them, particularly for the small amount of room the bar takes up.

I agree with others that very few people want to spam their friends and no one will make a home page out of any site that is less than spectacular - but why not give 'em the option?

Just from stats the site is getting about a 5% bookmark return rate - but I don't know if that's from "control-d" or send-a-link.

Exotic Hawaii
    Live the life of your dreams!
    http://exotichawaii.com