User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Free "family photos"

Hey,

I am wanting to develop a site geared towards families, but I need to find a resource that has free photos of families together. its hard to explain what im looking for, but im looking for some free images that will follow the "family theme" i am wanting to do.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can try http://www.graphicsswap.com but you are required to share photos in exchange for photos.

I can't think of any sites that offer "free" photos.

Hope this helps.
    Former Design Your Site Team Leader

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanworks
    Hey,

I am wanting to develop a site geared towards families, but I need to find a resource that has free photos of families together. its hard to explain what im looking for, but im looking for some free images that will follow the "family theme" i am wanting to do.

Thanks
    Well, I found a site yesterday that has free photos... http://stock.d2.hu/ <-- which appears to be in some kind of upgrade status right now. But I don't know that you're going to find any good free family photos. Why? Because most of the good photos would require a whole family willing to pose for them. If you've ever had family pictures (or taken them) you know it can be quite a bit of work for the family as well as the photographer. And people who just happen to have taken nice family pictures themselves sometimes don't want their kids faces published everywhere -- especially not for free.

So this is one case where you may either want to : a- try to think of a different kind of photo you could use, b- fork out the money for an nice stock image (or even a stock cd on ebay), or c- get out your digicam and find some willing models. Of course you can also check that site but I don't know that you'll find anything. Best of luck to you,

-velda

As a side note I'll quote myself: "or c- get out your digicam and find some willing models. " -- AND shortly find out what I mean about families being difficult to photograph. I used to work at a portrait studio. Its really harder than it looks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Velda's notion. I started in Portrait photography and gave it up shortly after I found the parents were more difficult than the children. Long story.

Anyhow, this is one of my favorite stock sites and the link contains samples of family photos.

http://www.photos.com/en/search/index?q=Family

Try searching "stock family photos" on google. There are quite a few stock agencies with various pricing. If you want high-quality royalty free photos, this is really the only way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by URAlly
    I second Velda's notion. I started in Portrait photography and gave it up shortly after I found the parents were more difficult than the children. Long story. [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img].
    Oh I totally understand. I had a guy that has his family sit through pictures and then didn't want to buy any, exclaiming "I look so fat! Did you have to photograph my belly like that?" What'd he want, a few greek columns in front of him? (in which case THAT belly would still stick out around the sides!) Or the moms who are more concerned about their smile (which invariably looks like plastic in their "favorite" pic) that they skip over the pics where their kids are at their best. Or the worst is when you get this totally adorable pic of the kids where their faces are so full of personality, but the parents want the kids sitting quietly with a half smile and folded arms, so they're unhappy with all the pics. Silly parents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one other note, if you do actually get family photos with your camera, get permission to publish those photos. Parents are a little more hesitant about publishing on the internet, so if you actually manage to get a decent photo, then you get to try and talk them into letting you use the photo.
    <abbey />
    HTML/XHTML/CSS coding
    Abbey Ink

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seanworks, check this one out too titled appropriately enough Free Photos

I found this on another thread and didn't research for family photos or costs, etc. Maybe this will help

Velda, thats exactly what I had problems with; parents knowing whats best for kids in the form of photographic expression, but then if they did, why would they need you, right? Go Figure. Taking images of just kids was a blast though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know of another site check signature