SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,

I just thought I'd give designing my business cards a go, what the printer wants me to do though is, turn the fonts into curves, bleed the edges by 2mm and create trim marks.

How is this done?

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok
    I am not sure about Photoshop but I definitely know that Illustrator 8 can do this.

To create fonts into curves:
    Just insert text in illustrator and it does it anyway

To add trim marks:
    Filter>Create Trim marks

To specify bleed:

1 Under Options in the Separation Setup dialog box, enter an amount in the Bleed text box.
    By default, Illustrator applies a bleed of 18 points. This means that the artwork extends 18 points beyond the crop marks on your film. The maximum bleed you can set is 72 points; the minimum bleed is 0 points.
    The size of the bleed you use depends on its purpose. A press bleed (that is, an image that bleeds off the edge of the printed sheet) should be at least 18 points. If the bleed is to ensure that an image fits a keyline, it needs to be no more than 2 or 3 points. Your print shop can advise you on the size of the bleed necessary for your particular job.

2 Specify another separation option, or click OK.

Hope that helps.
    Ideally you should be able to just give your printer a rough design and they should prepare their document as part of the service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nicky,

I was thinking about purchsing Illustrator but decided against it because 1) i have no real need for it because of the work I do and 2) PHOTOSHOP 6!!!!! is coming up soon so I might do the upgrade to that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    photoshop is ok for your requirements, but really you
    should use quark, its the best layout package on the market
    just bring all your graphics in to this, you can also collect for ouput, which puts everything you've used bar the fonts in a folder, try and get hold of this, your bureau
    or printer will thank you.

Andysan

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, I have used Quark before (even if it was on a dreaded Mac) and it is a very good layout package. However, if like me you have little need for it apart from doing business cards then it is not worth the money. As to Photoshop 6, I really want the upgrade too.

Has anyone tried Photoshop 6 and/or Illustrator 9 yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop 6 = good, many, many new features...too many to list here.

Illustrator 9 = not as good as PS6 (the upgrade I mean). DON'T BUY IT IF YOU USE ATM Deluxe!!. It will hose up your system. This is affirmed by Adobe themselves. There are major incompatibilites between ATM, Ill 9 and OS 9...

As for the layout, If you do it in Photoshop, make sure you have your document set to 300dpi and CMYK. Also if the final size of your card is to be 3.5 x 2 (which is fairly standard in the US) then make sure your working document is about 3.625 x 2.125. Set guides inside your document to 3.375 x 1.875. Make sure nothing important goes outside of the guides.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes