SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont agree that it has to do with Luck. oDesk is highly recommended because of quality of contractors there. You fire guys at work too, dont you? Of course there will be odd cases and you have yourself to blame for that.

Once you interact with the contractor, negotiate the price followed by compete instructions, there is little scope of irregularity. Now that clients are billed ever week, not everyday, it's s a win win situation for both parties.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @CarlZ ;

I've never used oDesk. I used PeoplePerHour and I found it had to do with luck as one experience was good and another was really bad. oDesk looks to be more expensive, but has more skilled professionals from first sight, so it could well be the case that you're less likely to have issues there.
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @CarlZ ;

There can be no substitute for quality contractors. Even if you pay high hourly rates, in the long run, outsources work will save you at least 30%. I recommend you plan a long term strategy, cant expect much from the cheap Pakistani and Bangladeshi contractors.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Lim View Post
    Hope to get some advice and recommendation on which Freelancing sites (odesk, freelancer, guru etc) provides the best protection for Buyers/Employer.

I've had horrible experience in the past with Odesk (http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...ing-ripped-off) where I got ripped off by a contractor and only to found out that Odesk does not care about work quality, as long hours are logged properly (screenshots), it does not matter whether what they (contractor) did is functional or not. My website is in a mess, I was forced to make full payment (Odesk doesn't give you control of your own money, crazy right?), it's been a nightmare.

I found Realtyna (realtyna.com) on Elance.com which I might hire for a real estate portal project, how does Elance handles disputes in such case? I know they charge an insane amount of fee for arbitration (For jobs valued under $1000.00 the cost to file is $399.00 to be reviewed by a single arbitrator. For jobs valued $1000.00 and over the cost to file is $750.00 to be reviewed by a panel of arbitrators.)
    It's unfortunate to hear that you had to pay for something that you totally are not happy about. You are right oDesk does not protect you about the quality of work as long as the hours are paid the contractor gets paid. What I suggest is for you to make your projects FIXED projects. This way you have a better control of the quality of work being delivered. You can choose to not pay if you are not happy and just cancel the contract per your agreement.