SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Sick and Tired

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10/19 at about 10AM I started getting sick at both ends and stayed that way till about 10PM. It was 12 hours of pure misery. Today, there is nothing wrong except for sore abdomen and chest muscles. How can you be that violently ill one day and feel fine the next? I don't get it.

Anyhow, I had to shut myself off from the rest of the house (and my internet connection) for 36 hours. That was too long. It was driving me crazy.

What is the longest you've ever been off the Internet?
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to a Zen Buddhist temple in February for a Religious Retreat. I will be offline for 3 days then.

So not only will I be at 5,500 feet in the mountains, in the winter, at a place with one phone line and little to no electricity, I won't be able to be online. Not even sure my cell phone will work as its 37.5 miles line of sight to the nearest tower. Sprint says 35 miles. If my cellphone works at least I'll be able to read my email once or twice during the weekend.

The cool thing about the trip is that the architecture is traditional Japanese and not a single bush, tree or rock was cleared from the site. Everything was built around them. There is even a tree growing in the middle of the dining room.

Overall I am looking forward to the trip and three days of spiritual relaxation and meditation.

Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well obviously I used to get along without it all the time...(sorry to hear of your illness, by the way).

I went to Florida on a family trip to Disney World a little over a year ago and was gone for about a week - had lots of email to answer when I got back - it'd be much worse today, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My longest is on week camps when i am obviously without the net for a week.

About 2 months back i stayed at a mates place, he had the net but i couldnt be bothered checking my email, for 9 days. When i returned home i had 490 something emails which took alomst all weekend to deal with.

Now i make sure my email is checked at least 3 times a day.

SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i quitted my computer-room lifestyle in mid-july and returned back home for 1 month & a half before i could use the internet on a regular basis again, at work. During this period, i only went to cybercafés 4 hours a week... too many e-mails to check, it took me the 4 hours everytime just to read them.
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I take my laptop with me on vacations and trips, those are out of the picture. I'd say it was when I moved to my current home and we had to live in a hotel for a few weeks until the owners of the home I live in now moved out. I had my laptop then, but no where to get connected to the Internet. I used the library sparingly, when I could, but it wasn't the same.

If I left for a week today without checking e-mail, it would be quite a mess when I got back.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The longest for me without the Internet was about 3 weeks back in September, 1998. I didn't have any ties to forums, sites, etc. so I had like 10 emails when I got back online

Just recently I went to California for a week, didn't have Internet access, so when I returned I had 500+ emails to answer...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent an entire week offline when my family went to Disney Land back 3 or 4 years ago. But besides that one time, I have always been online once a day for a long time. Even on vacation

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the recent past, probably the longest I've been offline is about a month, when I was doing a Vipassana meditation retreat in India.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Wayne, that trip you're taking sounds pawsome

The longest I've been offline was two weeks this past summer while in Spain. I was too busy soaking up all the sunshine and sangria to stop at any cyber-cafe's When I came back I had over 300 emails!

Sorry to hear about your miserable illness James, it was probably just a really nasty 24-hour stomach flu. They're out and about in force this season..there's also talk of the flu shot not being ready in time for the winter flu season.. so stay warm and drink lots of orange juice!

Dr. Sparkie

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey SParkie that's when you went to Gib isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a laptop, so even when I'm out of town on business or vacation, I usually am still online several times a day. This was a weird experience for me.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on-line very little when I went to band camp. I stayed at a hotel about 2 miles away from the camp instead of the cabins and I had my laptop, but I was only there in the morning and evening so I just had enought time to check mail and that's about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back this evening from 2 days in Washington, DC. I was able to log in yesterday, but not today. It's great to be back.
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums