SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Win2000 Advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay wayne. time to call on your advice again.

I have to give an account on my 2000 machine to someone I don't fully trust. Fine. Except I still have 2 fat32 partitions with sensitive data (and other OSes) on them. Is there anyway to deny access to them by regular users? I know Window's built-in security only works on NTFS, but is there anything from MS or a 3rd party that will work FAT? Even something as crude as blocking the entire drive is fine.

Thanks,
    Owen

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make that account a guestaccount, which means that the person who uses that account can only execute programs, but not move, delete or install programs.

It's what I've used for an account for my younger brother
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a command that lets you convert a FAT32 drive to NTFS...dont know if its a viable option for you but here is the command anyway
    Goto Start, Run, type "cmd". That should take you to the DOS/Command Prompt. Then type "convert x: /fs:ntfs", replacing x with the drive letter.

There isn't a way to set file permissions using FAT32, but I will have a think about other security options for you. I'll post again if I think of anything.

Hope that helps!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you do, just don't use a software solution like S to Infinity (it hides drives, and has other neat features). If the person knows a bit about Windows system, he/she would easily break the protection. Even i, who is a newbie, found out the way to break almost all software protections...
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humm...

Basically all I need is to prevent access to the drive. I would convert it, but I need FAT32 so I can access from other OSes.

These people are not very sophisticated - I'm not worried about them getting around the software. I'm more worried about them pressing "del" on my website or backup directories.

I'll try converting to a guest account and I'll look at that software page...

Owen