SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Outsource Web Design featuredhost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

visitor redirect

I am ot sure wether this question is best suited here . If any one feels the PHP section or soemthng better fro this Querry , please shift it .

OK , here's what i want to do . I got a website www.featuredhost.com Now I want the visitors to get different pages served based on where from ( country, geographiocal location) . This should be India and Non-India .
    Meaning if' the guy who's accessing the site is not from India , he should get the default pages . if he is from India , he would be redirected to a subdomain like www.india.featuredhost.com for example .
    Is this possible ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What you can do is load up a default page with a dropdown list of countries, and have the user choose which country they live in. Then submit the form and serve them the page appropriate for their country. There's really no way to do it through a straight IP or hostname lookup that I know of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am totaly guessing ... but our stats programs do track IP's where from visitors access . so , can't someone be redirected accordingly via server side scripts ?

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google does something like this...

Whenever I go to google.com, I end up at google.ca. I'm not sure how it's done... (i remember it being mentioned on SitePoint before, but i don't think it was explained.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends; some host addresses from a specific country have different endings. Like some end in .ca, .[whatever], ect. You can use that as a first reference and then provide a dropdown box for other websites.
    "Sa souvraya niende misain ye."
    - Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx guys ,
    i dom't want to give a dropdown list , but make the visitor go to the version i want automatically , without his interaction .