I really dont think you need a splash page.. the main page looks great and loads very quickly. That bird looks seriously ticked. I'd hate to meet him in a dark alley
On the main page, everything looks good. Ed mentioned some valid points above.. I would optimize the bird background so that it doesn't look so jagged. I was expecting a little MouseOver treat on the left side menus too.. it would really help liven up the site!
Apart from that I like the interactivity that you've added -the mailing list, favorite event poll and news ticker are all really great ways to get the other students interacting with the school's page.
Nice work overall.. your name should be put on the site since you designed it
I enjoy the web site. After the intital splash screen I am presented with a simple, well laid out interface of what is offered. I like how the scroll bar is red. Nice touch. The only suggestion I have is the splash screen is not needed, but should be displayed only one time and store a cookie so the user only sees it the first time they visit the site.
As a newbie myself, I probably have a nerve reviewing your site. But I think it helps ME as much as you!
1. I like the lead-in screen. People who come back often can always bookmark a different page if they want to. It gives newcomers an immediate 'feel' for the site.
2. Navigation is nice and simple. Mouseovers would make it even better
3. No-fuss layout
4. Seems to have all the pertinent content one would expect in a school site.
1. I'd eliminate the horizontal scroll bar.
2. The page banner sort of looks like an ad at first glance.
3. Uniformity is good but the pages are more than uniform - they're identical. Something visually unique on each page would be nice.
I like the simple navigation of the site. Mouseovers might be a nice addition but the site works without them. I love the top.jpg picture. I usually don't like background images but I think it works here but as noted before needs to be smoothed up some. I don't like the scroll bar changing colors on me. Your graphics are all nice except for the background. Great job!
Good site, definately needs a mouseover effect on the left nav bar, possibly a nice deep red? The splash screen is ok but it looks a bit untidy when you click on it with the dots around it, could be because of its size. Try putting the following code in the href tag for the graphic...
Hope it helps, best of luck.
When I view the splash screen at 640x480, the masthead gets cut off. I have no problem with splash screens, but if you re going to have one, make the image small enough that it fits 640x480 (why not!)
When I enter the page, now that is a different story.
1) First off, why do you have frames at all if you are only going to display one of them? Your code is set to <frameset border=0 rows=100%,*>. Ok, never mind...after seeing that beastly long *REAL* URL I can see why you want frames.
2) When viewed at 640x480 or even 800x600 on either Mac or PC, I get horizontal scrollbars. The reason why is that your math does not add up. Your master table does not have a width set, it should be 100% if that is the effect you want. Then your inner table is set to 705.
That is beyond the bounds of any browser set to either of the standard resolutions listed above.
3) Your navigation images (all2_01-over.gif and etc...) are 143 pixels wide. You should set the table cell that contains them to the same width. Then you can have the middle table cell with your content set to 100, and the far right cell to whatever it needs to be.
(i obviously left out tags for brevity's sake)
4) Be careful about nesting tables. YOu have them nested 3 deep at some points. From personal experience, Netscape will choke on nested tables.
The site itself looks really good. I can tell that you put lots of work into it. I personally dont like the color palette, but that's me.
Overall your site has a wonderful design. I love the navigation structure. It is very easy to jump from section to section. The navigation "pods" are awesome. The main image at the top of your pages is a work of art, but it took a little while to download on my 56K.
There is one thing on your page that REALLY bugs me. Quite frankly, I don't think that the red framed border thing does a thing to help the design of your page. In my browser (my monitor is set to 800X600) I got an annoying horizontal scroll bar.
Another thing I would suggest is making the fonts on your pages omre consistance. On some pages you used Times New Roman and Arial,Helvetica on others. Personally, I think that Arial,Helvetica would look the best on your pages, especially in size 2.
Finally, you might want to consider a Yahoo! type navigational thing on your subpages (i.e. Home>Activites>yaddaYadda). Or you could highlight the current section that the visitor is in with the navigation "pods". Sometimes it is easy to forget which section you're in.