User Tag List

Thread: handheld pda

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

handheld pda

im thinking about getting one.. tho can anyone explain to me what the difference is between that and a desktop pc.. like are the os the same or are they different?

im sure there is more cons than pros compared to the pc, but would like some advice to it.. tia

(i posted a thread earlier but must not have been submitted, so if that pops up sorry for double posting)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well ...

handheld is for mobile using, to keep your contacts, to do list, memos ... etc with you while you are away from your pc, some of them have advance feature like mulitmedia.

about os, there is 3 major handheld os's, palm, pocket pc and symbian, forget symbian, and think about palm and pocket pc, if you want simple handheld go for palm, and i think the best start will be Palm Zire its only 99$.

sorry for my "poor" english

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont forget Symbian, which is the biggest in the Phone/PDA market. I have previously owned both Palm (III, Vx and m505)and Pocket PC (iPaq 3870), but I'm now a VERY satisfied owner of a Sony Ericsson P800 Smartphone. It's in my experience much better for both email retrieval and surfing than both Pocket PC and Palm, and has incredibly good PDA functionality (not quiiite as good as the Palm or Pocket PC, but very close) The amount of availiable software is still superior for Palm, and I think the Pocket PC operating system is a little to buggy for my tastes (The next version looks promising) and the devices are mostly too big for my tastes.

The difference between a PDA and a PC is huge - they are not meant to be used for the same things. I use my PDA(Phone) for calendar, todos and memos. I also keep up to date on my email and do quick web checkups. I also listen to MP3:s and read ebooks.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice replies! so the os wouldn't be much different to say windows one, gui etc

and would they be able to connect to windows or even a network?

tia )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah you definatly need to connect them to your computer to be useful (IMO). If you get the right network card (maybe a wireless one for convenience) you can connect to a network fairly easily.

I perfer windows CE over the 'rest'. Not sure why, it's just nicer But if you get the all in one phone/pda like Mattias has (he was chatting to me on MSN with it haha) then I think it would work better with that sybian or a more 'inbuilt' os.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much all PDA:s comes with a "cradle" for the computer and syncronization software, to back up all your data and keep it in sync with outlook (sidenote: if you don't use outlook or a calender today, you probably don't really need a PDA) It's also via this that you transfer files such as MP3 or MS word docs to have on your PDA.

Some PDAs do have WLAN capability, namely the latest and incredibly pricey Compaq iPaq, but I fail to see the point of that.

The OS's are quite different from the windows one, even Microsoft Pocket PC. But they are all tailored to be very easy to use, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    then I think it would work better with that sybian or a more 'inbuilt' os.
    Pocket PC is as much built in as symbian, to my knowledge?
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first you should know, what do you want from your pda to do? then you can choose the os, for PIM i prefer palm, for multimedia go for pocket pc, for mobile phone go for Symbian.

Abdulla thinking about "his grammer and spelling" i need to learn english more and more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdulla
    Abdulla thinking about "his grammer and spelling" i need to learn english more and more [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    You seem to be doing great so far.