SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

Anyone here a DVD expert? I've found a Zenith DVD Player for only $150 on Buy.com:

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...044093&loc=111

Is it "for real"? I'd like to know basically whether or not this is too good to be true.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad price for an entry level player. You could probably find better prices just by walking into your local BestBuy or Circuit City store.

I have seen similar machines on sell for as low as $129.00
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...I'll think about that. One appeal is that standard shipping is free. Do you own a DVD Player, Wayne?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been putting it off until Christmas season...

Why you might ask when my favorite hobby is watching movies?

I am scared of upgrading all my tapes to DVD.. It will cost me a fortune as I currently own approximately 600 video tapes, including every Disney Animated Classic. Since the Disney Cartoons are only released every 3-7 years on DVD and Tape it won't be too hard to replace those but I have a lot of others.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear ya...I'm lucky to have DVDs coming out just about the time I can afford one. They sure look cool! All and all between that and a nice TV, I'll probably be out $350 - but hey, it's cool stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you want a DVD player that you can use with your TV, not one for your computer, right Chris?

I have a DVD player built in on my computer, but that's beside the point. We're also looking for DVD player - but our concerns are: are DVD players going to last (or is some new technology going to override them before they even become really popular) and can you record onto a DVD?

Someone please clarify...

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats funny Marc,

Same concerns over here - but I personally believe that DVD will last.

As for recordable - I am pretty sure they don't - but once they do - I'm buyin' .

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and Chris - you already have one DVD!

I love my DVD player and my DVDs! I think they're alot of fun, and even if they don't have any extras, just the simple fact that you DON'T HAVE TO REWIND THEM makes it all worth it!

DVD technology I believe is here to stay. I heard someone say that you might want to hold off on buying DVD players for another little while because they recently (past 5 months or so) developed the Blue laser that would allow manufactures to put even more stuff on DVDs. But I think that that may not be around for another couple of years, if ever.

As for recordable DVDs...I've heard that they expect to have recordable DVDs as early as Christmas time, in fact (for those of you in the US), if you look in last sunday's Best Buy ad in the tribune you'll find the first DVD recorder avaliable for like $4k I believe. And if I'm correct...those will work in 4th generation DVD players (the most recent released DVD players).

Alright...I think that's all I know about DVD players and stuff. I think that EVERYONE should have a DVD player because they are just so much fun!

-John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they're going to stick around as well...and yes, Marc, I was referring to one for a T.V.

Just too much hype put into DVD for it to fall off the face of the earth...and besides: it's a great product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you tape shows on a DVD like you can on a tape?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are currently 2 writable DVD formats.

It looks like DVD-RAM will win out but no one know which will be the dominate format. They don't make DVD recorders for movies yet as a result. You can buy DVD-RAM drives for your PC though.

Personally I would rather purchase a Tivo or Replay recorder at this point instead of a DVD Recorder anyway. The reason being is I don't record movies but would rather purchase them. What I do record on has to fit in a Camcorder. Now a Tivo would allow me to rewind stuff I missed on TV without missing later parts of the show. No more "What did he say???"
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris and everyone else feel free to drop a line to Laurie (she is the editor of my newsletter and also works for a very well known company in the field). I'm sure she would be happy to answer any questions that you have. Laurie@movie-fever.com . Laurie is a Movie/DVD fanatic and very educated on this subject

[Edited by BobM on 10-14-2000 at 04:16 AM]
    Bob Messinger
    Movie-Fever.com - News, Reviews, Trailers..
    Movie Fever Forums - Visit and discuss movies with other fans!

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am thinking of getting a DVD player. The prospect of upgrading all my video tapes to DVD kinda scares me though, cos it'd cost a fortune.

My plan is thus:

1. Buy a DVD (well, convince my parents to buy me one) and get a bunch of select titles on it, and most of the new blockbuster releases.
    2. Keep my VHS player (which is integrated into my TV anyway!) and keep my videos, except the ones I replace with DVDs of course.

The reason being that a lot of my VHS tapes aren't out on DVD, and probably won't be. I've a load of BBC comedies like the entire series of Absolutly Fabulous (does anyone else love that show?) and lots of really old, really bad sci-fi and fantasy films which I just love.

I've been wary of DVD thinking it was just a fad and wouldn't be around long (like pre-recorded mini-discs) but it seems to be here to stay.

So there we go. My two penneth, and thus closes this chapter on the shopping habits of the lesser spotted web designer.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I very much dislike "Ab-Fab" Comedy Central has an Ab-Fab marathon during Super Bowl Sunday each year...the one day of the year I DON'T watch Comedy Central.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Fluffykins
    The reason being that a lot of my VHS tapes aren't out on DVD, and probably won't be. I've a load of BBC comedies like the entire series of Absolutly Fabulous (does anyone else love that show?) and lots of really old, really bad sci-fi and fantasy films which I just love.
    Little different here on the other side of the Atlantic. It is becoming more and more difficult finding VHS tapes of movies unless you want the newest releases. This is my main impetus for getting ready to buy a player.. I just can't decide which to buy first, an 18 inch Satellite system with 2 receivers ($200), a DVD player (again $200 dollars), Playstation 2 ($250-$300 dollars but includes DVD as well).
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a cheapo DVD player at Best Buy last week for $99.97 plus tax. It works great, and at that price, I didn't see a downside. I get the better picture and longer life of DVDs for my favorite films, and I don't usually have to worry about getting a worn-out copy when I rent a DVD (instead of a video) at the local video rental place.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update:

Well, i've gone and bought myself a DVD. I've gotten a Phillips one, on the basis that my TV is a Phillips, so they should work together seamlessly (they did too, yay). 220 it cost.

I'm already thinking of going out this weekend and maxing out my credit card on a whole pile of DVDs. Sleepy Hollow, Pokemon the Movie and the Matrix were my first purchases.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well guess what? The $150 DVD player I had in mind has for some reason risen to around $170 Still a good deal from everyone's opinion, though.