User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

Need your advice. I have to teach an introductory ecommerce class this winter. My students will be webmasters in training and local small business owners and we will concentrate on ecommerce processes, not building a ecommerce database or anything like that. (That is for the advanced class). I plan on having them buy the book "an idiots guide to ecommerce" for basic information and reading out of class along with various articles.

I would also like to look into more technical books for my lectures. Basically I want my students to walk out of this class with a very good understanding of the processes involved in setting up e commerce so that they can make effective decisions with regards, to hosting, gateways, software, shopping carts, and merchant internet accounts. I will give them a few options for each section of the ecommerce process. We will also go through examples of these processes in class.

I teach a seperate online marketing and promotion course and cover all aspects of that with relation to ecommerce within that class. I have 10 hours to teach them ecommerce in the winter. Yikes!!

Any advice on good books you have read would be greatly appreciated. Some books I found were way over my head, yet other just focused on the business plan. I would like something regarding setting up ecommerce websites.

Laura

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this one.

It is useful. The book has already offer a e-commerce site for readers. You can use it to teach your students. I think it's useful and welcome for webmasters and small business owners.
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Another good book on the programming side is
    SAMS Teach yourself E-Commerce programming with ASP in 21days.

Wouldn't say you can learn everything in this book in 21 days but it uses real world examples and walks you through it step by step.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I will look into those. I appreciate your answers.

Laura

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura,

Just wondering if you're teaching at a local college or your own private "seminar". I've been toying with the idea of running a couple of seminars on Building Web Pages, Using eBay, etc in an effort to give some exposure to my web development company? Do you get any "side work" from the classes you teach?

Mark

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I teach at a university in Nevada through continuing education. It gives my little company tremendous exposure. I had a student in my SEO (Search Engine Optimization) class that wanted me to take over his site for optimization. I couldn't because I am so busy preparing for the classes and I am a full time stay at home mom. It is alot of work to prepare for classes or lectures, but after the first time it does get less time consuming.

A local elementary school also has asked me to teach html as an enrichment class to families after I offered to do their website for free with no strings attached. So if you want to do lectures, teach or whatever approach your local college, school etc. This way I hope to establish myself as an "expert" in the field. With some teaching experience I will feel confident to venture out into corporate America helping others with this new economy.

Now if I could just absorb all this information with ecommerce I would be fine. Unfortunately it will take some time to do that. Back to reading e commerce articles again :-)

Hope this helps
    Laura
    webfut@email.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure you will find lots of e-commerce information on Ecommercebase.com
    Wayne Luke
    ------------