SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to track users in a flash site...

i was reading an interview of pixelranger and he was talking about his portfolio. he said this:
    Have you labored much with scripting in the development of your site?
    Pixelranger.com isn't a very script intensive site. There are some simple scripts on the to submit forms, verify variables and what sections have been visited, but on the whole the site isn't too complicated in its functionality.
    i was wondering, how would i track where people go throughout my site? my site is done mainly with the loadMovie(); so i dont know how i would track where users go. i looked in the flashkit tutorials and didnt seem to find any info related to it. does anyone know how i could go about doing this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I can think of is find a program that can read from your site logs and it should tell you what movies are loaded if it's halfway decent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Shane (Pixelranger.com designer) mentions he's using simple scripts to read variables of which sections people are visiting.

He's using Flash MX and from what i can tell he's on a UNIX system so he may well be posting the variables with PHP to MySQL perhaps using a PHP session to track visitors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i'd ask shane personally but he's barely ever on flashkit. so far this is what ive found

http://www.kessels.com/FlashDB/index.html

im gonna see if i can change it around to do what i need.