SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone ever consider supporting sports people or teams? Which sport? Would you if your business grows more? What level would someone have to be at wihin their sport?

I'm interested because I'm on both sides of this issue right now

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What exactly do you mean by 'supporting?' Like sending them money for no reason other than you like them, or making a website about your favorite team or player?
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean buying advertising on team shirts, racecars, official websites or whatever

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In local sports, most teams are sponsored by local businesses.

In Lancaster, Ca. (where I live) it costs $460 dollars per team to register for the League or about a minimum of $16 per person depending on the league and team sizes. Teams go to businesses which in turn pay this fee as well as buy uniforms. In exchange the business logo is printed on the uniform. This provides low cost advertising for the business because thousands go to the games every week.

Softball is a $8 million annual industry in my city.

Yet the city only has approximately 132,000 people in it.

Now the city has started hosting National Tournaments and has signed three-year contracts to host the National Championships for the Men's Fast Pitch and Women's Fast Pitch leagues. These teams compete in the tournaments. The shops they visit and the restaurants they eat at are the ones they know of. They find out about these places from the advertisements in the City softball complex (8 complete fields with stadium seating built for $15 million) and in our Baseball Stadium ($22 Million).

The only reason I put the prices in is because the two complexes are being paid for by yearly income from Softball
    Teams. The city just finished an $18 million Soccer Complex with 10 fields and hopes to start seeing a profit on it in the next 2 years.

My answer to your question is a resounding yes to the question of sponsoring a local Sports team. There is big money in it. The only thing you have to do is get the marketing right to get them to your site after the game. It is one thing to be a nearby restaurant and quite another to be a website operator.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't consider sports sponsorship, but that certaintly could be done in the future.