SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Dycomb Product Distribution

Check out dycomb.com on desktop browser. My concern is that many people are not scrolling down beyond the initial banner. How can I fix this? What improvements could I make besides including missing graphics? How may I better SEO the site under the "product distribution" keywords?

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Datz,
    You are right. People probably seldom scan below the fold. You have a really nice design here and your website is really good however the location of elements and navigation are not intuitive and frankly; a little strange. Not only will people miss the demo that they have to scroll for but they will not see your other menu items that appear when they scroll down. Personally I never would have scrolled has you not mentioned this very fact in your post.

I would suggest making another menu across the top of the site that links your other content to pages instead of all being on one page and then having to scroll.

Perhaps you can find more ideas here,

http://conversionxl.com/intuitive-we...uitive-to-use/

Best,

Shawn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smanaher View Post
    Datz,
    You are right. People probably seldom scan below the fold. You have a really nice design here and your website is really good however the location of elements and navigation are not intuitive and frankly; a little strange. Not only will people miss the demo that they have to scroll for but they will not see your other menu items that appear when they scroll down. Personally I never would have scrolled has you not mentioned this very fact in your post.

I would suggest making another menu across the top of the site that links your other content to pages instead of all being on one page and then having to scroll.

Perhaps you can find more ideas here,

http://conversionxl.com/intuitive-we...uitive-to-use/

Best,

Shawn
    Thanks for the input Shawn - I just updated the home with a "Scroll Down" reminder. Do you find the update effective?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Datz,

That is more helpful however I would not encourage people to scroll.

I was just writing a long reply to you about how I don’t like the navigation until I started clicking on menu items. Then the navigation was much easier. When I’m scrolling though, its choppy and the experience is not good. When I click on things, the code takes me where I need to go and that is much more pleasant. I would get rid of the scrolling all together and either see if people can navigate appropriately by clicking and if they can’t, work on making the menu items entice people to click.

Hope that helps,

Shawn

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, I'm sure you are aware of this but incase you are not, body {overflow: hidden;} should do the trick.

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    My chief concern about your site is that any visitor with JavaScript disabled is met with a totally blank page. I habitually browse with JS disabled, and my response would be to leave your site immediately and look elsewhere.

Total reliance on JS in this manner is not a good idea. It makes sites difficult to access for people using low-end mobile devices, and some assistive technology. (In many countries, you are obliged by law to provide equal access for people with disabilities, so you should bear that in mind.)

This is also an issue for SEO:

Quote Originally Posted by Google
    Technical guidelines

Use a text browser such as Lynx to examine your site, because most search engine spiders see your site much as Lynx would. If fancy features such as JavaScript, cookies, session IDs, frames, DHTML, or Flash keep you from seeing all of your site in a text browser, then search engine spiders may have trouble crawling your site.
    http://support.google.com/webmasters...answer=35769#2

You should always provide fall-back content that does not rely on JS.
    Don't be arrogant. Be kind to a koala that thinks it's a bear.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with some of the above comments. The scrolling experience leaves a lot to be desired. It's choppy and feels a bit awkward at times. From the start position if you scroll jut a little it automatically scrolls back to the top, turning it into a fight to scroll down which is a bit annoying. Most of the graphics are larger than the content area on my 1366x768 screen and when you attempt to scroll down it again scrolls up automatically.

Also, it may just be me but I feel like i'm trapped in a box when trying to view the content. The header and footer feel over-sized with a bit arrow pushing into the already tight content area. The navigation elements are in no way transparent to the design, and distract from the content.

I like the concept, but I think you need to address the usability of it at different resolutions and not forcefully scroll users to the top of each section.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks nice, but in terms of user friendliness, not so much. I`m afraid that if i was first time visitor on your site, i wouldn`t bother to search for the menu, or even guess there is more scrolling down, because the carousel arrows draw my attention, making me believe it`s a horizontal only website, also i can see a horizontal scroll bar. It also loaded a bit on the slow side. So no, it doesn`t work for me, too complicated.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting look you have here. What I would do is to only have the top menu bar and not one at the bottom. it feels very full even on a desktop at a high resolution. If you want people to scroll down, maybe add a call to action below your tag line 'Often, it's like you're being followed' such as LEARN MORE which would scroll down (anchor link) and get rid of that arrow.