SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist spoondevil's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CV/Resume on a CD Rom using Live Info

I have my CV at www.thedesignroom.net but I also want to create a Business Card CD Rom with it on, but I want it to use live data that I will have stored in a database.

This is the "rules" that I am hoping to follow:
    • User inserts Business Card CD-Rom into machine and the Flash Interface loads up.
    • Programs looks for a connection to the internet and if present and if the web server can be accessed:
      • Checks employment status on database and displays appropriate message (currently available or unavailable for work
      • Downloads the current CV data from the database and inserts it into the correct fields in the Flash Interface.
      • Hyperlinks to email address, contact form and map activated.
    • If internet connection or web server is unavailable:
      • Message is shown to tell the user that the information is probably outdated, and to use the card on an internet connected machine.
      • The CV will, however still show up, but it will uses generic information stored on CD for the CV at the time of distribution.
    Would something like this be possible, and would prospective (sp?) employers love this sort of thing, seeing as I'm going to be applying for programming jobs.

Many Thanks
    Ian Gunter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, but I don't think it's a good idea. keep it simple. the more complex something is the more likely a problem will arise and that is too great of a risk when applying for a job. Just bring a paper copy and maybe one on a cd or website.

let me give you an example of how I got f'ed when trying to make a nice flash auto run resume cd. The employeer put the cd into a network cd-rom on some server. Then we went to his desk a hallway down and accessed the cd from the network. So the auto run and flash stuff never showed up because he was indirectly accessing the cd. Instead he had to find the darn index file on the cd that wasn't organized because I had autorun on. not a good impression!
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Web Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a nice idea but not very necessary. Is your CV updated daily?

Most people update them every few months - at the most. It just seems like a LOT of work for something that isn't really updated.

What happens when you change your site address or the web site is down?

Then you are left with a blank CV? Opps
    No offence but I doubt employers keep a resume CD longer than a week - at the most. They use it to contact you - that's it.

So what I'm saying is just update your CV on your resume CD and send out a new one if you're still looking for work - or just have a link on your CD "Please visit the updated website with more current information" or something.

I'd like to know how you test for a web connection in Flash though

SitePoint Evangelist spoondevil's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your honest replies. I was gonna also use it as a piece of work I could show them and say "Hey, look what I did".

But I think I will take your advice and just create something else for the work piece.

Gunter