SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fighting SPAM

Hi there guys,

I am having a growing issue with SPAM.

I use Site5 for my hosting company and within CPANEL I've enabled the SPAM filters and SPAMAssissin. That being said I still get a large amount of SPAM.

My clients are having the same problem. I am wondering if there is anything I can use to prevent SPAM.
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without direct access to your server settings, there's not much you can do. This is really your hosting provider's responsibility. Keep pushing them for info until they do something about it.
    Detect file changes remotely. SimpleSiteAudit is an early
    warning anti-hacker system which sends an alert on detection.

PHP Find Orphan Files - Finds all the unreferenced files on your site.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndmouse View Post
    Without direct access to your server settings, there's not much you can do. This is really your hosting provider's responsibility. Keep pushing them for info until they do something about it.
    What do you make of this, http://www.spamhero.com/, looks fairly promising. I have contacted my hosting company and I got the following message:

Quote Originally Posted by My Hosting Company
    I do apologize for that SPAM problem you and your client are experiencing with.
    You may want to enable SPAM Assassin on your cPanel (and on your client's cPanel account as well), and configure it score.

By default, the score is set to “5″. This is a good starting point as it will pick up a majority of the spam that comes to your email. If you notice that a good number of spam messages are still coming through, you could try lowering this number to 3 or 4.
    I have added the spam filter, but the issue still does persist. I am thinking possibly because I had the email addresses included in the web page it made it easy for bots to scan and get the email for spam purposes. In either case I can't disapoint my clients, so a solution needs to be found.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with spamhero. I still maintain that it is the provider's responsibility. Why should you spend money on a problem they should be solving - in their reply, they are apologizing for the problem, which, by inference, is accepting responsibility.

Keep chasing them and try and find out if any more of their customers are affected.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndmouse View Post
    I have no experience with spamhero. I still maintain that it is the provider's responsibility. Why should you spend money on a problem they should be solving - in their reply, they are apologizing for the problem, which, by inference, is accepting responsibility.

Keep chasing them and try and find out if any more of their customers are affected.
    I am very happy with my hosting company. I am sure that the issue might have to do with either them or the WordPress installation. I don't wish to change my hosting providers. I honestly don't mind incorporating something extra into my management cost if it's going to benefit the customers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not suggesting that you change hosting provider. No harm in trying something like spamhero, it has a 30-day free trial offer I believe. Still worth pushing your provider though.

As you're using WP it might be worth looking for a suitable plugin, but that would have to be installed on all your WP sites.

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some of these are akin to closing the barn door after the horse has bolted but nonetheless:

Make sure you don't have any 'catch all' email addresses set up.
    If possible avoid generic addresses such as info@ sales@ etc
    If possible use forms on their website and avoid unprotected email links on the site
    Turn on greylisting if the customer can handle a short wait on email delivery of incoming mail
    Educate customers on not using primary business email addresses to sign up/register/subscribe to anything
    Use google apps email or other 3rd party email service that is competent

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sega,

Site5 (cPanel) allows you to configure your SpamAssassin settings to tighten-up (or make slack) to handle SPAM. Their staff should be able to help you (they used to have helpful support - not sure these days as I've moved on for a different reason) if you don't know what settings to use.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sega View Post
    Hi there guys, I am having a growing issue with SPAM. I use Site5 for my hosting company and within CPANEL I've enabled the SPAM filters and SPAMAssissin. That being said I still get a large amount of SPAM.My clients are having the same problem. I am wondering if there is anything I can use to prevent SPAM.
    Hi Sega,

Yep spam is a constant problem, currently we use Spamassassin primarily, and as spammers change tactics it adjust to some degree as it recognizes those and fights back. But spam is always going to be a problem. We have a few tutorials on how to tweak/setup SA and our team is happy to help you too:
    http://kb.site5.com/control/cpanel/c...am-protection/
    http://kb.site5.com/email/how-to-train-spamassassin/

We are testing some additional anti-spam services, and we hope to have word later this year on those as we finish testing.

Thanks, Ben
    CEO at Site5.com
    CEO of Site5 Web Hosting - 18 Locations around the world, 45,000+ happy customers!
    WebPub.com - Automatic WordPress Upgrades (New Startup)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Including your Email address in the site is asking for trouble. Use a contact form instead. You may want to change your address because the damage is already done with your current one.
    I use a form created with Tectite Formmail, so far the spam detection has been waterlight.
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Dec 18, 2013 at 08:19. Reason: URL tidied up

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bweeb View Post
    Hi Sega,

Yep spam is a constant problem, currently we use Spamassassin primarily, and as spammers change tactics it adjust to some degree as it recognizes those and fights back. But spam is always going to be a problem. We have a few tutorials on how to tweak/setup SA and our team is happy to help you too:
    http://kb.site5.com/control/cpanel/c...am-protection/
    http://kb.site5.com/email/how-to-train-spamassassin/

We are testing some additional anti-spam services, and we hope to have word later this year on those as we finish testing.

Thanks, Ben
    CEO at Site5.com
    I have been a happy client of Site5 for several years and what impressed me the most is the wealth of information they have in tutorials. Many of them have been written by clients; it has a very "Open Source Software" feeling.

Thank you @bweeb ; (Ben) for providing this assistance. It is wonderful to see the CEO of a hosting provider take the time to offer help on public forum like this. I encourage your participation in many other discussions here too.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains