SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I have been looking, at least a week, for a "free" FFAL page for the site I am working on.

I checked out several sites at the "The CGI Resource Index "( http://www.cgi-resources.com/ ) and found a site named "Servers.nu's Linkpage" at http://www.servers.nu/linkpage/new.phtml?id=a which I liked. It allowed the webmaster to determine which categories he/she wanted on the page. This is a feature I really want. The problem I found with "Servers.nu's Linkpage" is it only allows up to 6 categories which are on different pages. Also, not too customizable as far as getting the page to look like the rest of the site.

Hosted Scripts ( http://www.hostedscripts.com ) has a nice FFAL but again customization was limited although one could place as many categories.

Does anyone know of other "free" FFAL services which may be a bit more customaizable with categories and maybe just plain "better"???

All recommendations and suggestions appreciated.

WP
    Webbing Along!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're wasting your time on free-for-all link pages...

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gossamer-Threads.com "Links 2.0" Perl CGI software is actually for running a directory/search engine type thing but can be used as a FFAL page.

You would need to download the script (shareware/pay if commercial use) and modify it to dump submitted links into the main links database rather than the "waiting to be verified" database... Then when you (by crontab or manually) update the links by running the update script, the links go into the categories by themselves w/out needing admin approval for each one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames86
    You're wasting your time on free-for-all link pages...
    Hi mjames86,

Why do you feel that way?

WP
    Webbing Along!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WebDevPortal
    Gossamer-Threads.com "Links 2.0" Perl CGI software is actually for running a directory/search engine type thing but can be used as a FFAL page.

SNIP......

Hi WebDevPortal,

I should have been more descriptive in my initial request. I am requesting info about a "free" FFAL page managed by a remote server.

Would you happen to have any info about that kind of situation?

WP
    Webbing Along!!!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WP1,

You are, as stated earlier, wasting your time with FFAL pages. Here's why:

-- They produce no real traffic to your site, or return traffic, but can certainly waste your time.

-- I have had my favorite, primary email account destroyed by playing with FFAL pages for traffic... Even though I tried to spam-shield my address, they found it and started blasting thousands of crappy emails to my inbox.

-- You will have to moderate your page all the time, as many inappropriate sites will try to post there.

-- This hurts your site's image.

If you are still determined to get an FFA page, help yourself. Linkomatic.com should offer a decent script
    to download and customize. But remember, don't do it. The enticing things to be gained by getting an FFA page are all myths. Traffic, recognition, success. More like spam, spam, spam. In any case, good luck!

David | http://www.web-master.tv
    The ultimate site for webmasters.