User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would like some feedback on a very unique blog site

I recently created a blog site for me and a couple of family members to post content and information regarding artistic and creative ventures, like cooking, unique sports, general news, and music.

I created it as means to gain a bit of experience in the web dev world, as I hand coded just about everything you see on it in very basic PHP. The site doesn't have much, we obscured our identities using some favorite stuffed animals of mine as a kid haha.

In the future, I plan on adding an RSS feed and restructuring the site into an MVC such as flask. Also, adding a couple of widgets on the side menu and, if we get big, advertisements (but not too much of course!)

Tell me what you think of it! I tried to go for a very homey look with a warm yellow in front of stars. Any and all critique accepted! Don't shy away, I'm a grown man and tears are my enemy.
    Thanks!

-bnynn

http://www.nightstuffs.com/Home.php

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just explained what you have done right? you probably do not need any help as proven. all i can say is move on and add what is best for making your site look different. Its a nice site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RdNard View Post
    You just explained what you have done right? you probably do not need any help as proven. all i can say is move on and add what is best for making your site look different. Its a nice site.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    If you have the time, check out my website: nightstuffs.com
    I LOVE THE INTERNET, ALL OF YOU!!!! :3

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site really is quite unique. As said by RdNard, you dont need help as you know what to do and are intelligent enough to do it. I am going to bookmark your site.<snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Apr 23, 2013 at 06:42. Reason: E-mail address removed

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bnynn,

You have a very good start here and as the others have mentioned, if your purpose for this site is personal in nature, there probably isn’t much you should change. You said that you were thinking of starting more development work so I can offer you some tips when designing similar sites for others.

One thing that I noticed was that there are no social sharing features for posts. This has become a pretty common web convention and you may want to learn how to build something like that.

Also, I like your threaded comments on your posts but the colors make functions a bit hard to discern. Try contrasting colors with buttons and text areas so people can see what they’re supposed to do.

Other than that very nice site, especially for coding it from scratch.

Best,

Shawn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to practice in SEO or promote your blog it is probably would be easier if you choose a specific niche and do blogging about something in particular. Otherwise it might be hard to find a target audience for your blog. I would experiment with the colors, try to play with blog color themes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very cool! should decrease the size of the night sky picture though, took about 6 seconds to load, other than that very neat looking site, simple to use, great use of colours and really easy to interact with

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unique design. My complaint is that the design does not flow - is not consistant. Make those blue labels above the comment label wrap around the left side like the header does. Also, remove or improve the floating "to top" button. Move "about" in the nav to the right and perhaps rework the pastel color theme. Having only the "topic" drop down is a bit asymmetric and awkward - perhaps add an auto complete search and better tag navigation/sorting.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sabarna View Post
    The site really is quite unique. As said by RdNard, you dont need help as you know what to do and are intelligent enough to do it. I am going to bookmark your site.<snip>
    Hey, thanks for the feedback!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smanaher View Post
    Bnynn,

You have a very good start here and as the others have mentioned, if your purpose for this site is personal in nature, there probably isn’t much you should change. You said that you were thinking of starting more development work so I can offer you some tips when designing similar sites for others.

One thing that I noticed was that there are no social sharing features for posts. This has become a pretty common web convention and you may want to learn how to build something like that.

Also, I like your threaded comments on your posts but the colors make functions a bit hard to discern. Try contrasting colors with buttons and text areas so people can see what they’re supposed to do.

Other than that very nice site, especially for coding it from scratch.

Best,

Shawn
    Thanks! But I see what you mean, we do actually have a social sharing method but the buttons look exactly like the "like" and "follow us" buttons! So I need to change the imaging.. Alright! And yes the comments do seem to lack contrast I will get to it! There will be changes! Thanks again.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roobid View Post
    If you want to practice in SEO or promote your blog it is probably would be easier if you choose a specific niche and do blogging about something in particular. Otherwise it might be hard to find a target audience for your blog. I would experiment with the colors, try to play with blog color themes.
    Thanks for the review! And you're right we need to stick to one topic haha..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strayon View Post
    very cool! should decrease the size of the night sky picture though, took about 6 seconds to load, other than that very neat looking site, simple to use, great use of colours and really easy to interact with
    Ohh! I was very worried about that pesky night sky image.. I'll change it to jpeg to make it load faster. And thanks for the feedback!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by datz View Post
    Unique design. My complaint is that the design does not flow - is not consistant. Make those blue labels above the comment label wrap around the left side like the header does. Also, remove or improve the floating "to top" button. Move "about" in the nav to the right and perhaps rework the pastel color theme. Having only the "topic" drop down is a bit asymmetric and awkward - perhaps add an auto complete search and better tag navigation/sorting.
    Thanks for the feedback! I was actually going to add a search function soon (haha, nice that you pointed it out though!) and I see what you mean by the inconsistency and labels. I will keep that in mind for future revisions. But can you elaborate on the "remove or improve the floating top button?" I tried to make it blend with the background so it isn't too distracting so I don't see the problem there. Thanks.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks nice. Has a nice collection of topics but there lays a slight problem. You are not targeting any specific topic or market and that will hurt the ranking of your site very hard. I would suggest to focus on a specific niche, pick nice keywords and work on them. You already have a good site and (assuming) you have a good traffic coming in so the way i see it, you can only go up.
    <snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Apr 26, 2013 at 03:49. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by egenie_257 View Post
    It looks nice. Has a nice collection of topics but there lays a slight problem. You are not targeting any specific topic or market and that will hurt the ranking of your site very hard. I would suggest to focus on a specific niche, pick nice keywords and work on them. You already have a good site and (assuming) you have a good traffic coming in so the way i see it, you can only go up.
    <snip>
    You are definitely right, we are facing a marketing challenge appealing to three groups. We definitely need to optimize for "product distribution," "in-text commerce," and "publication monetization." The good news is that "product distribution," "online distribution" and "in-text commerce" are new categories we invented and have little competition. The bad news is that people are searching for "advertising" as a way to monetize their sites and publications and "ecommerce" to sell their products. I do not know if we need SEO as much as we need publicity for these new categories we invented stemming from our unique feature set.
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Apr 26, 2013 at 03:49. Reason: Link removed from quote

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you are in need of SEO because as you mentioned you created new categories that have little to no competition, which means you need one hell of a marketing campaign so that people can know about it. Because SEO can cover the publicity aspect you are worried about.
    <snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Apr 26, 2013 at 03:49. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

You are definitely right, we are facing a marketing challenge appealing to three groups. We definitely need to optimize for "product distribution," "in-text commerce," and "publication monetization."
    @datz - I think you're a little confused here. This is bnynn's thread, not yours.
    Don't be arrogant. Be kind to a koala that thinks it's a bear.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by egenie_257 View Post
    <snip>
    That's a great point! Yea, you're right, we will definitely keep that in mind as we are writing articles for the next few weeks. Thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are definitely right, we are facing a marketing challenge appealing to three groups. We definitely need to optimize for "product distribution," "in-text commerce," and "publication monetization." The good news is that "product distribution," "online distribution" and "in-text commerce" are new categories we invented and have little competition. The bad news is that people are searching for "advertising" as a way to monetize their sites and publications and "ecommerce" to sell their products. I do not know if we need SEO as much as we need publicity for these new categories we invented stemming from our unique feature set.
    lol, happens to the best of us

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing I notice is very long load time for the background image

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mazz View Post
    First thing I notice is very long load time for the background image
    Thanks for the review! We'll get on that!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site feels empty with no widgets on the side. The 3 links on side do not work. being greeted by a big hippie smoking is not the most inviting.

I think you need to make it more clear exactly what kind of niche content you are offering here. I don't really know, and I am really trying to understand your target market. Also I don't see any meta tags - you are defintiely going to want to add some basic seo elements.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keywordsear.ch View Post
    The site feels empty with no widgets on the side. The 3 links on side do not work. being greeted by a big hippie smoking is not the most inviting.

I think you need to make it more clear exactly what kind of niche content you are offering here. I don't really know, and I am really trying to understand your target market. Also I don't see any meta tags - you are defintiely going to want to add some basic seo elements.
    Thanks for your time! You are right, we need to focus on a target market. We originally intended on writing articles about current events (4/20), cinco de mayo, etc, but that was kind of stupid haha.. We have some questions though:

What three links are you referring to?
    After doing a bit of research, I learned that meta tags and meta descriptions rarely show up any more.. But I see your point, might as well have them!
    Do you have any other SEO tips off the top of your mind?

Again, thanks for the insight!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These three on the right sidebar, "Insightful Content" "Interesting videos" "The occasional lol"

Meta title & description are absolutely essential. Otherwise Google will show random site data as your search results and thats not nearly as helpful. It's only meta keyword tags which dont matter anymore.

You will want to make sure you use a h1 and h2 tag every page, and a strong too. Use title tags on all links, and alt tags on all img's.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keywordsear.ch View Post
    These three on the right sidebar, "Insightful Content" "Interesting videos" "The occasional lol"

Meta title & description are absolutely essential. Otherwise Google will show random site data as your search results and thats not nearly as helpful. It's only meta keyword tags which dont matter anymore.

You will want to make sure you use a h1 and h2 tag every page, and a strong too. Use title tags on all links, and alt tags on all img's.
    Oh! Yes, we should get some links to those! And many thanks for the SEO tips! We never even knew about the link and img thing, wow! We're definitely making some changes, thanks again!